Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

2010, 4cu.ft. 10-cycle Washer is tearing clothing during washing

2010, 4cu.ft. 10-cycle Washer is tearing clothing during washing cycle. What could be causing this and how can it be fixed.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The most common cause is due to clothes getting caught between the rubber boor and the drum. Are you noticing it with smaller, lighter items only?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mostly smaller items, such as childs cloths
Thank you. The issue is that the smaller items get pinched between the drum and the rubber door boot. If this is a new problem, the boot is likely getting worn and will need to be replaced. If you have had this issue for a long time, you can use a garment bag for the smaller items (which is recommended anyway) to keep small items from getting in the gap. I actually use garment bags and it helps to keep laundry sorted to make for faster sorting, especially socks! With three kids, all girls, it can be a real chore separating and folding socks. They fill their garment bags and they go right in the wash. You will have no tearing if you use them and save the $100 for the new boot, unless it is in really rough shape.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kelly, where and how can I purchase a boot and how much trouble is it to install? The current boot does not seem torn but it is sponage like and feels gooey.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kelly, I plan to give you a good rating but before I sign off I need to know what problems I may encounter in buying a boot and installing same.

That rubber boot is available below as well as a video showing how to replace it.