Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have purchased the Whirlpool Dryer heating element (DE838)...279838 There

I have purchased the Whirlpool Dryer heating element (DE838)...279838
There are 3 wires (with connectors) from dryer to element....need diagram on how to hook them up properly....

The technician wants $60 service call for a 5 minute or less job
thanks
Patrick
Submitted: 11 months ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The actual element has only two connections. I suspect you have two wires to the thermostat and one to the element. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have to go home and get it.....can I contact you later today or tomorrow....sorry I should have known better...

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Sure, that will be just fine. Below is a typical wiring scenario that will probably apply to your dryer. Let me know what you find if yours is different.

graphic

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I viewed the your image...thanks...and this is it...

I removed the heating element "cover" (lower right corner) and there is the heating element terminals and (I think) the high limit thermostat wire....I was trying to cut and paste a picture of the heating element...but it doesn't allow me

Is there a phone number I can reach you just in case ?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
We are not allowed to communicate off site right now, but you can just post back at any time. There is one red wire that has a very large terminal that goes to the element. The thermostat fits over the other element terminal. Then, there is a regular red wire to the thermostat and a small orange wire to the thermostat. With the different sized terminals, it is impossible to hook them up incorrectly.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That is the rub... you are right....there are three (3) different connectors but I only see (two) terminals on the heating element and they are the same size...can you send me a picture of how they are hooked up to the element ?

I can then print the picture and try it...

thanks

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
The thermostat connects on to one of the element terminals, only one wire goes to the element. The video below should be a great help!

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Kelly,

My work is blocking this video....can you send to my personal XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX ?

thanks

patrick

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
The site blocks your email, sorry. You can access the link from any computer, though.
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
You can copy the url below and email it to yourself, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yL-WO_eRic&feature=player_embedded
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX great....easy to understand...however if you notice on it....it only connects 2 of the 3 wires...this won't be a problem will it ?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
No, you probably have the orange wire on the thermostat, too. That will be the very small terminal and will only fit in one place on the thermostat. You won't have any trouble.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!