Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a whirlpool model number ED5PHAXSL00. initially the

I have a whirlpool model number ED5PHAXSL00. initially the fridge will not get cold but the freezer was perfect. I had a service guy in that used a blow dryer in a vent on the left of the fridge. Cost me $150. It didn't work and he left. I had to pay first. He wants more money. I cleaned the freezer and now it will not work either. I read something about an auto defrost mode that will cause this. How can I disable the auto defrost to get the freezer to get cold again?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So when the technician left, did the refrigerator or the freezer work for even a short period of time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. He thought that it did. It was a very faint breeze coming from the vent at the top left of the fridge but it was there before he came.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you there?

I'm here, just looking over your model. OK so if you remove the lower back panel inside the freezer, can you tell me if the fan above the coils is running and if so, are the silver coils packed with frost or lightly frosted from top to bottom or??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay the fan is running and the frost has melted

OK so there was a lot of frost before you melted it then?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it was normal frost. It wasn't gunked up like I expected. they just looked white

OK so that's normal. It sounds like your damper assembly itself is just faulty if only the refrigerator section is warming up. The damper is the part that sits behind the vent in the upper back left corner and opens and closes to allow air into the refrigerator. The part number is XXXXX for the damper and it costs about $25. You'll want to order and replace this part to fix your issues.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The problem is now the freezer is not working and all I did was clean it

So it may just need some time to cool. If the coils were white and the fan was running it will cool down within 5-6 hours
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So far the refrigerator has regained its temperature. It took several
days. I am going to order everything that has to do with the defrost. Its
thre parts that come up to less than $100. I am also going to keep a
compressor relay in my house just in case. My research shows that they go quite frequently. Thank you for all of your help.

Alright sounds good. If you need anything else just let me know.