Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

dHave GE gas cooktop model # XXXXX The spark igniter

Customer Question

dHave GE gas cooktop model # XXXXX The spark igniter ticks constantly about every 3=5 seconds. What can I do to repair?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you turn all the burners on, does it stop sparking?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No. When a burner is turned on the clicking is rapid paced then reverts back to a tick every 3-5 seconds even while a burner is lit.

OK so it sounds like you just have a faulty spark module that would need to be ordered and replaced to fix this issue. To access the spark module, just remove the burner grates and burner caps. Remove all the screws going into the burner bases and pull the burner bases off. Pull al the knobs off and the top panel will then pull up and off on the top panel.

CLICK HERE for spark module

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I ordered and installed the part you identified as the problem. Sadly, The igniters are still sparking about every 5 seconds. The only way I can stop it is by disconnecting power. Any further suggestions of what to do next?

Make sure that your ground is securely connected. The only other things that would cause this oven to act up like this is bad power supplied to the oven (whether it's power, neutral, or ground), or if one of the burner switches was bad. But if a burner switch was bad, turning that burner on would stop the unit from sparking.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I will check your suggestions when I get home this PM. Can I return the part I ordered?

If you purchased it from the link I sent you than you can. Otherwise you'd need to contact the dealer to see if they accept returns.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks, I did purchase from your link.

alright sounds good.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry for delay responding. Internet been out all day. Checked everything you advised with no solution. Am returning igniter module and would like a refund of your fee since nothing worked.

OK well I wish you the best.