Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi I have a GE WHDRR418E4WW washer. I need to get access to

Hi I have a GE WHDRR418E4WW washer. I need to get access to the agitator coupling. So I can replace it. I have the fabric softener dispsensor off ..but it does not appear that I can access the bolt that way? There is a small hole on the side of the agitiator but I can not find a screw or a release that will allow me access to the agitiator shaft bolt..
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The agitator itself is just held on by a lot of friction onto a plastic hub below the agitator. Unfortunately the agitator is really difficult to remove on these GE washers. They don't have bolts or screws holding them down, they are just held down by friction. You have to grab underneath the agitator and pull up (usually helps with 2 people) really really hard and it will pop off and you can remove it. GE makes a special tool for the job which is basically a bicycle inner tube that slides under the agitator and inflates to pop the agitator off. Once you have the agitator off, check the plastic hub and make sure the center bolt is completely tightened down. If it is and the hub doesn't move, then try to re-install the agitator and if it still has a lot of play, the agitator itself would need to be replaced.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tyler. Interesting. No hardware holding it down, so it's basically like a cork in a bottle. Without an inflation device, is it possible to get the agitator removed? I assume that you would need to get under the "bell" or bottom of the agitator to try to get this pulled off?

That is correct, it's just held on by about 10 clips that go under the agitator coupling. You can definitely pull the agitator off without the tool, but you either need to be very strong or get a 2nd hand to help you. If you just grab under the botXXXXX XXXXX of the agitator and lift straight up, it will unclip and pull off with enough force.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, good thing I have a bit of power but I'm afraid of breaking the plastic thing and there is not a lot of room under the bell to get a good grip. Give me a moment to try it and will be back.. in any event, i will rate your service when I return (unless I have more questions on this). Thanks for your help.

Not a problem. Good luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I was expecting it to me more difficult. The agitator popped right off. Very easy. Thx for the help!

No problem. Glad you got it off. You must be fairly strong if it was easy for you to pull off because it's definitely difficult for most people.