Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Hi Kelly. I have A Whirlpool GGW9200LW1 natural gas dryer.

Customer Question

Hi Kelly. I have A Whirlpool GGW9200LW1 natural gas dryer. It's about 10 years old. Here's the behavior: It will go through one heat cycle then the blower unit will never light up again. I've checked the thermister at room temp (about 11K ohms), the high-limit thermostat, flame sensor and thermal fuse all have continuity. The flame igniter obviously works at least once. When it tries to cycle on again, it glows orange to white hot. Another clue is that when the blower is trying to ignite there is a rattling sound. I haven't check the valve solenoids. I was going to simply replace the thermister and thermal fuse since they're cheap and simple. But I really don't have the cause for the lack of ignition beyond the first light up. Thanks for any help! Gary
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.

Jon :

hello Gary

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I believe Kelly is offline right now. I can help you if you would like?

Customer:

Sure

Customer:

you've read my issue then?

Jon :

yes, I have and it is a common one.

Customer:

oh good

Jon :

when checking your thermistor, did you check it at room temp or just after the dryer had heated once?

Customer:

This unit is at a rental. So I got there and put it on a cycle and made my observations. It took me another 20' to open it up and get to the thermister, yank it out and get my multi gauge on it

Customer:

so it had been heated once

Jon :

ok so round about room temp then. If so, the thermistor is way off the allowed 10% allowed difference in resistance.

Customer:

what should the resistance be? Do you know the spec?

Jon :

resistance for your thermistor should have been around 50k ohms. Not 11k. that is way off. and I would suspect that as the may cause for the dryer to heat once then stop.

Customer:

I see

Customer:

so let me ask...

Customer:

I had my meter set to 20K Ohm level... and I read 11ish

Customer:

is that 11K Ohms then?

Jon :

And as far as for the rattling you could overlook the dryer and make sure all screws are fastened to the heating circuit and blower wheel. But usually the coils there are to blame. As the plunger gets activated within the coils it tends to rattle around and cause the damage to the coil valves. Which would cause the gas valve and igniter to not perform to specs as well.

Jon :

I would replace the thermistor and the coil valves. Both parts are cheap and combined would cost you less then $30. And as a tip, you could you the frigidaire version of the coil valves in this and many other whirlpool model dryers. they are the exact same coils and parts but 1/3 of the price.

Jon :

Yes, that is 11,000 ohms. way off the 50,000 it should be at.

Customer:

So on the rattling. I didn't notice it the first time it would light up. But subsequent times it tried to light up is when it would rattle. The rattle sounded internal to the blower/valve assembly

Jon :

Change the thermistor and coils since they are on the same circuit and would most likely be damaged because of the bad thermistor.

Customer:

coil valves... do you mean the two solenoids?

Jon :

yes. they are called coil valves. The two solenoids that sit on the gas valve. One is the primary and the other a secondary. One controls power to the igniter and the other opens the gas valve to let gas come into the burner assembly to light the flame.

Customer:

I suspected them with the rattling sounds, but didn't know how to diagnose them

Customer:

sounds like a plan!

Jon :

the coil valves you can order come as a set and is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Jon :

here is a link to the part info just clcik the image below

Customer:

That's the fridgidaire version?

Jon :

yes. this is the cheapest price you shoul dfind for the exact same coil valves on your machine. Whirlpool will charge you about $40-50 for the same set.

Jon :

and the thermistor is part number

Customer:

that's great

Jon :

thermistor part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Jon :

here is a link for the thermistor

Jon :

Both parts combined should cost again about $40. And will take care of the issue you are having with the heat in your dryer. And they are cheap quick fixes for you as well.

Customer:

You recommend ordering from this repair clinic site?

Customer:

Do I have to pull off the front of the dryer to get to the coil valves?

Jon :

yes. They are one of the only parts warehouses that will not only accept returns of these parts for up to one year after purchase. But they will also accept returns when they have been installed already too.

Customer:

cool

Jon :

no. you should be able to get access to the coils by just removing the lower panel under the door. In which I am assuming you have done already?

Customer:

well, I went in from the back. Ugh. Yeah, I'll drop that front lower cover

Customer:

well.. I'll order away!

Customer:

Thanks for the help

Jon :

If you would like to remove the front panel completely and the drum, that might give you a little more room to work with. But in most cases you can access the thermistor and coils by just removing the lower access panel under the door.

Customer:

yeah, I'm sure I can get to it with the lower access panel

Jon :

you are very welcome. Do you feel comfortable with the replacement of these parts? would you like for me to search for a video to show you on how to replace them?

Customer:

I'm comfortable with it

Jon :

ok. great. then just get back to me here if you have more questions or concerns with this machine and i will help you more,.

Customer:

excellent service!

Jon :

if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating.

Customer:

you got it. So the service is $30?

Jon :

Thank you. much appreciated. That is what I am here for. Glad I could help.

Jon :

you got it. That is what you set the question at when you logged on. I actually get half that. The other half goes to the website.

Customer:

I see. Well worth it. Have a good night

Jon :

good thing here is that if you ever need me again for this machine, you can come back here and ask away. all other questions on this machine will be answered at no additional charge.

Customer:

very good!

Jon :

You just have to rate me positively now below this chat to credit me with a good answer.

Jon :

Thanks again. Have a good night.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please get back to me here again if you have any other questions on this dryer and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Please let me know how you do.

Thanks again.