Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

How difficult is it to take the freezer back panel out of the

How difficult is it to take the freezer back panel out of the whirlpool er2chmxpl00 to thaw the drain plug. is there a way to prvent this happening again?

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It's actually quite easy to remove the back panel on this unit since the freezer is above the refrigerator. If you have an icemaker installed, you'll need to unplug the icemaker and remove the screws going into the side wall that mount the icemaker to the wall. Also remove all the food and shelves and then unplug the refrigerator. At this point you can just remove the screws going into the back panel and remove the back panel.

To prevent the drain line from freezing up again, cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

Also, if you didn't want to use a copper wire, there is an actual kit made which you can wrap around the heater if you wanted to buy the actual kit to perform this task.

CLICK HERE for kit

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not notice visible screws inside the freezer. do I access thru freezer or back of the fridge?

You would access through the inside back of the freezer itself. There are definitely screws you will need to remove, so look at the top of the back panel to try and locate the screws.