Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Have a Kenmore refrigerator (model #106.53562202) that is not

Have a Kenmore refrigerator (model #106.53562202) that is not starting up. The fan below the refrigerator is running as is the fan inside the refrigerator but, the compressor is not running. The compressor becomes very hot to the touch. Checked resistance between windings on the compressor - 2.5 ohms, 5.6 ohms and 8.3 ohms. Also checked for continuity between windings and bare spot on compressor to determine if it is shorted - no continuity.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the continuity of the compressor checks good, but that doesn't mean the compressor is good because it can still be seized up and there is no way to check for that. Either way, the problem you're having means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over which is why it's getting so hot.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It does rattle. I'm not sure what part to get as the relay here - does not look like the one that I have. You can view a picture of mine here -

So below is a link to the part you'll need to order. It has been re-designed because it just commonly failed before and sometimes resulted in fires, but either way the part in the link below is the part you need to order and it will come with instructions if it wires up differently than your old one.

CLICK HERE for overload relay kit