Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

hello i have a very old d-596 GE fridge .ser. no. 165824 i

hello
i have a very old d-596 GE fridge .ser. no. 165824
i was taking it apart to paint it and when i took off back shield a line of some kind broke and released terrible smelling gas.i cant get back in my garage and dont know what to do.how toxic would this be. should i seek medical attention? i can still hear it releasing 15 minutes later

jim svirk
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Basically you have broken one of the sealed system lines, This is refrigerant and is poisonous, if you are not feeling too bad I would still go to a emergency room, or at least call them to see if it is worth coming in, open all windows and doors until well after the refrigerant has stopped leaking.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please reply with any further questions you may have.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

If you would like to request me personally for future appliance questions click here HERE and bookmark this page.

Thanks!

Mike.