Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

electric maytag dryer wont shut off by itself; dries as normal,

electric maytag dryer won't shut off by itself; dries as normal, but neither timed cycle nor dryness cycle ever cuts off without opening the door.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

No the problem is with the timer, it has bad contacts and will need to be replaced.

If you need the part number and a supplier where you can get the timer get back to me :)

I would like to earn your highest rating, Please reply If you have any other questions or need further assistance.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave. It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem by clicking HERE :)