Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Dryer stops after 5 mins

Hi, I'm having a problem with my dryer. It runs for about 5 minutes and then shuts off. It won't start again until about an hour later. It doesn't matter if I have it heat or air only. I've cleaned it - there's no lint, as much as I could remove inside I have. Before it shuts off it starts to sound like a rough engine. Wires look good and the belt looks good.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 33 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 50,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
You have a faulty drive motor , but it is no longer available .And I checked three differant paerts dealers stock .

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/White-westinghouse-Parts/Dryer-Parts/Model-WDG546RBS1/1816/0151200/Y2703302/00005?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=WDG546RBS1

By law appliance manufactures only have to stock repair parts for 7 years , then the parts are returned to the manufacture and normally scrapped.

Pretty sure not what you wanted to hear , but it is the motor getting hot internally and then needs to cool down!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That does make sense. So the motor is shot, done, finished. And i can't replace it. Any suggestions for a new dryer - where should I start looking?

Thanks very much!

If you have a Sears near you or a Lowes , Home depot. Or even a local Appliance dealer ,they all have a wide variety of manufactures and price ranges to meet your needs .

I recommend the most basic ,they have less parts top go bad !