Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I just turned on my Frigidaire Affinity Front Loading Washer

I just turned on my Frigidaire Affinity Front Loading Washer to do a load of wash. When I hit start I hear the noise that it wants to start, but then the lights turn off except 'no spin' and all I hear is the humming of the motor, but the water never turns on. Is there something I can do or do I need to call someone to repair it?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

You you identify where the noise is coming from exactly? Does the noise sound like it's coming from a motor down below the tub of does it sound like it's coming from the door latch and if you pull and push on the door the noise changes slightly?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like it is coming from the motor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

are you still there?

I'm still here, just typing up an answer for you. OK so that means that your drain pump is clogged or jammed or just faulty in general. The noise you hear is coming from the drain pump below and it's trying to drain the water out but since it can't, the washer won't run. Now you'll need to evacuate all the water manually and remove the drain pump to check for a blockage inside the pump itself or between the pump and the tub. Remove the blockage if there is one and if you don't find one, the drain pump itself would need to be replaced. Below is a video that shows you how to remove the drain pump.

CLICK HERE for video

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but the water never entered into the washer. it was like the washer turned and since it did not receive water, the motor just kept waiting.

I understand that. As long as there is still water in the drum that it can't drain out---it will not attempt to fill.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i see - but i haven't used the washer in a month . . . i guess it could be in there from the last time but the last load was done to completion. (the washer is in my family's vacation place in florida which is why it hasn't been used since then.)

If that's not the problem, then you should need to follow the hose up from the bottom of the tub that goes to the pressure switch mounted above the tub. Disconnect the small rubber hose and blow through it to make sure it's clear because this is what tells the washer if there is water inside or not. Other than that, you would really need to verify exactly what part is making the noise and if it's coming from the drain pump, replace the pressure switch for not sensing the water level correctly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks so much . . . is this something that a plumber can repair or do i need an appliance technician / expert?

the only thing a plumber is going to be able to help you with is if the washer is not getting water to it. You will definitely need an appliance technician to do a repair on the washer itself. I also want to mention that if the humming is coming from the area from where the fill hoses connect to the back of the washer, then that would mean the valves are trying to let water in but for some reason water is not coming into the washer so you do want to double check that the humming isn't coming from the water hose connections themselves.