Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Mike, do you have an answer to this one? Kenmore Trio Frig

Mike, do you have an answer to this one?
Kenmore Trio Frig Model# XXXXX
Evap coils freezing. Temp rising in frig. Diagnostics turn on defrost Heater fine. I can hear it start to melt ice. That must mean the defrost timer electronics on control board must be bad. (Possibly thermistor on coils.)
I've got a good control board that was left me by a tech years ago who came out shortly after we bought the frig because there was a problem. He gave me the board for free because it was already "invoiced out" or something but wasn't needed for the repair. It is 7" x 13". I can't for the life of me find out where it is located in the frig. Everyone & all the diagrams keep saying it is above the lights in main frig compartment. But it isn't. That's only the display & small display control board.
Where the heck is it?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like the technician brought the wrong control board. Your only control board on this refrigerator is the display board itself which is the board you can see in the link below.

CLICK HERE for display board picture

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That must be it then. He brought the wrong board out. Okay so that's the only control board in the frig. So the defrost timer circuit would be on there. Does my analysis sound right that it is most likely the board then? Are the evap coil thermister & thermostat checked when turning on the heater through the diagnostics? Would you say my best bet is to do the board first try?

So the defrost thermostat is checked, but the thermistor is not check. That's fine however because the thermistor is not a defrost thermistor on this model. That thermistor is just used to regulate the freezer temperature. So if your defrost heater and the defrost thermostat are working and the heater turns on through diagnostics, that display control board is the part that needs to be replaced. Unfortunately that is the most common part to fail when you have a defrost issue on this refrigerator.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay. Excellent. Exactly what I needed to know. Mucho thanks for your expert help on this!

Not a problem and I wish you only the best.