Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a hotpoint model RGB528BEA1WH gas stove the igniter

I have a hotpoint model RGB528BEA1WH gas stove the igniter is broke, before I purchase a new one I want to verify that the gas safety valve is in working condition, I use my multi tester and get a continuity reading of 1.8 on with the meter set on its lowest setting.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the solenoid is reading within standards are the gas safety valve and it's definitely not shorted out, but just so you understand, there is no way to know of the gas safety valve is stuck closed or not. But if you were trying to verify that the igniter did not short out the oven gas safety valve, it did not if you are getting 1.8 ohms resistance through the valve.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!