Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

My Kenmore Quietguard dishwasher will not completely drain

My Kenmore Quietguard dishwasher will not completely drain.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..doyou have a model number ? there is always water in the tub?

Customer:

Kenmore quiet guard model 587.16193400. Yes, but it seems to be a bit much.

Randy 43 :

have you tried anything yet? does the dishwasher drain hose drain into a garburetor under the sink or into the existing plumbing ? is there any abnormal noise when the machine goes to a drain cycle?

Customer:

I have cleaned screens, taken off drain hose and cleaned. I disconnected the small hose between the sump and pump and the sump does drain. Pump works but stopped pumping when water is about 1/2 over the bottom plastic screen. Drains into garbage disposal. No abnormal noise.

Randy 43 :

both ends of the drain hose and garburetor end are clear , screwdriver in each end ?sounds like you have checked all the obvious things , if all the hoses are clear i have run across a few pumps where the impeller overheats and strips and doesnt move the water out again , drove me crazy , because i couldnt find a blockage ..if all the the hoses are clear i would suspect the pump itself

Randy 43 :

Drain Pump - Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNMfg Part #NNN-NN-NNNN width=
Full Size Image

Customer:

That's what I thought but it seems to works fine until it gets to a certain level and then stops. Is there a float somewhere that can be adjusted or cleaned?

Randy 43 :

pump has a check valve ,just a little flapper that allows the water to leave ,and closes when water out , its not much ,other than that it should just run for a few minutes and drain all the water, ive taken the pumps apart and checked them and swore they were working ok ,blew thru the hoses with no resistance ,still didnt work properly ,changed the pump ,worked great..maybe under a load ,they strip out quicker

Customer:

Okay. I'll replace the pump then and see how she works. Thanks.

Randy 43 :

ok good luck , any problems let me know ,