Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Tappan oven came originally with the new home. Made date:

My Tappan oven came originally with the new home.
Made date: June 1988
Type No: 01181-18270982
When I turned the heat to “BAKE” position only the bottom heater become red, the top heater no work.
Only when turned the heat position to “PREHEAT”, the top heater can become red and work.
Please let me know is this a problem? Can this be repair?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this is not a problem, this is how the oven is designed. In bake mode, ONLY the bake element will turn on. In PREHEAT or BROIL mode, the top element is used. During preheat, the top broil element is used at the same time as the bake element to preheat the oven quicker. The top element is the only element that is used when turning the oven to broil and the bottom element is the only element used when turning the oven on to bake---it's just how the unit is designed.