Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a L.G. refrigerator bottom freezer almost two years

I have a L.G. refrigerator bottom freezer almost two years old old with ice maker in the door and one in the bottom freezer the one in the door stopped making ice last may and in july the bottom quit making ice because it's not cold enough running about 30 degrees and it's set as cold as it will go I cleaned the coils checked everything I know of I use to work in refrigeration I think it's the control board for the freezer and have a new one from L.G. but can't find where it goes and no one can tell me where it is or won't I don't know which I think it's in the door but can't get it apart hope you can model no LFX28979SB
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

What part number for control board do you have exactly? Do you have part EBR73304216?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes I have a part no and part but it's not the same no the no on the box is EBR60070707

That part is going to do nothing for you. That is nothing more than that power board for your refrigerator. If you had no lights or anything, than that board would be bad. Lets start over. Why do you think the PCB is bad, just because the temperature inside the freezer is too warm? Have you removed the back panel inside the freezer to look at the silver coils and see what the frost pattern looks like on the silver coils? If not, that will be the first step you need to do. You need to see if the silver coils are packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, no frost at all, etc. You also need to see if the fan above the silver coils in the center is running.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No I didn't check that I had the refrigeration man that took over my place years ago when I retired check it out for me and he can up with that being the problem back in May and he got the part from L.G. then and it's still in the box and today he brought to me so I could fix it because I guess he's to busy so I thought I would try tired of waiting and not getting answers from the locals thankyou I will try to see the coils can't see very good any more losing my eye sight but I will look right now that I have your help thankyou very much

OK sounds good and good luck.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

there is no frost on the coils at all and the fan is running fine

OK so pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel. Is the fan back by the compressor running? And touch the big black round compressor. Is it warm, room temperature, or blazing hot?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It's hot to the touch but I can hold my hand on it for a little while

OK that's not good. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It doesn't rattle but it sounds like the compressor is running and the other thing is the refrigerator part has always worked fine since this May the ice makers quit working in May and the freezer just started to get warmer and quit freezing in June or July

You sill have an issue with your sealed system. Whether it's a leak, your overload relay (if the compressor does cut out from overheating) or the compressor itself. The problem is not an issue with your board or sensor or anything else I'm afraid. If the compressor is running, the silver coils should be lightly frosted from top to bottom at all times and if not, then you either have something going on with the compressor or a freon leak. Neither of these things can you fix yourself. You'd need a technician to come out and check the freon pressure in order to determine what is going on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok thankyou very very much for your help and I will give you the best rating I can it's people like you that makes this a better world to live in hope you have the best of luck in what ever you do in your life

Not a problem but I'm really sorry to hear about the problem you have with your refrigerator because it's definitely not an inexpensive or easy fix in this instance.