Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Ive owned a Samsung model RH269LB since 2007. Recently the

Ive owned a Samsung model RH269LB since 2007. Recently the compressor died. The repairman suggested I replace the unit because in his words 'when the compressor goes, other things may go and the unit is no longer under warranty'. How true is this? I understand the repair will be costly $500, but the unit Iis only 7 years old and retailed for $2600 in 2007, is 26 cu ft, and just a relly nice fridge so im hesitant to just get rid of it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! So often times, when you call for repair and the technician shows up, they cannot tell what is wrong with the unit, may not want to take on a big repair, or are just lazy. The statement is then made to "just replace it because it is too expensive" so they can collect the service call fee for doing very little. That compressor runs about $150 and it will run about $200-250 to have it installed, if it is indeed bad. What is the unit doing that was diagnosed as a faulty compressor?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

It was not cooling.

Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.
Was the compressor running? Was it trying to start and shutting off?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Im not sure. It is located in a rental property. Not cooling was reported by the tenant.

Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.
Well, compressor failure at 6 years is not common. I would suspect an electronic issue long before compressor issues. The most common is a faulty relay that starts the compressor and defrost problems. There is a small part on the compressor that is mounted on the dies of it. It pushes on the three pins and will pull off easily for inspection. If you can pull that off and shake it, there should be no rattle. Even if the compressor was bad, a $400 investment in a 6 year old $2500 refrigerator is still a wise investment. I would have a look at the refrigerator yourself and we can walk through a few tests. I doubt the compressor is faulty.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!