How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Z. Your Own Question
Tyler Z.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 77700
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tyler Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

heard a loud pop on the knob of our gas range while cooking.

This answer was rated:

heard a loud pop on the knob of our gas range while cooking. i turned it off and it still popped, like 3 more times. i thought i saw some light (or small ignition) under the knobs but am not sure, as the firemen and my husband were not sure of what i was saying and they just told me to clean the stove tops thouroughly as they suspect it was just the grease that is causing the popping sound. and they are telling me that maybe i saw the burner pop and spark, and not the knob.

the pop was very loud, almost like a little firecracker-i called 911 and i had to take my 2 kids out of the house as i was not sure what was happening.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So were you using the cooktop or the oven at the time when this issue happened?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes. it happened during and after i used it.


i heard one pop then i turned off the burner.


but i still heard 3 more pops after that.



OK so if it was popping even after you turn the burner off, this means your spark switch is shorting out. Behind each knob is a spark switch that tells the burner to spark when you turn the gas on. This spark switch will sometimes just short out for no reason or sometimes water gets on it and shorts it out. Either way, the spark switch would need to be ordered and replaced to fix the problem. The switch MAY or MAY NOT work right now, but it will eventually short out completely if it hasn't already if you heard it popping.

Tyler Z. and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am not using any of the burners right now.


is it safe to use the other 3?


is the "shorting out" normal? is it dangerous?


do i need a technician to repair it? or should i just allow my husband to do it himself?

So it's best to leave the oven unplugged and to use the other burners lighting them with a grill lighter or something like that. Ovens are designed to prevent damage to your kitchen even when parts like this short out, but if it continues to short out, it might damage the wiring and the cost to repair could be a lot more.

As far as calling a technician out or having your husband replace the part, that just depends on how handy he is. If you have a the model number I can look up the part you'd need to order if you wanted to try to replace the part yourself. The model is located on a sticker around the frame of the oven and can be seen if you open the door or remove the drawer below the door if there is one.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

uhm- i can still hear something from the range right now. (i went down to try to get the model #) not sure what the sound is. not a pop....... sounds like more like a "spark" sound. or like a soft popcorn pop sound. but all the burners are off. is it still "shorting?" can it possibly start a fire right now?


anyway, i thought i heard something this morning that's why i had to use this service. the popping happened 2 days ago.


sorry for the stupid questions, im just being paranoid right now.

Is the oven plugged in? Please unplug it if it's plugged in, this is why I said to leave it unplugged. It won't start a fire but it can short out your wires and then you'll have a lot to repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok- i unplugged it.


it should be the only plug underneath that area right?


thank you.

Correct. It's the only plug to the oven. It shuts everything down. You can still use your cooktop, but you'll need to manually light any of the burners with a grill lighter until you get the switch replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


last question though- unless we call a technician, how would we know if the wire already shorted out? is that visible?

It would be visible, but you'd need to remove the panel behind/below the burner knobs to see the switches and wires to see if they are damaged.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok- thank you so much!

Not a problem and I wish you only the best!