Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a four year old side by side Whirlpool . It seems to

Customer Question

I have a four year old side by side Whirlpool . It seems to be running but not cooling.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. Please take your time and make the checks below.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The compressor is warm and is not vibrat
ing.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
But the fans are operating? Is that correct?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is only one fan as far as I can see. And it was running when I opened the back and blowing into the freezer. Now the fan is not running.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
If the fans are operating and its not getting cold anywhere on the rear freezer wall there is only one thing you can do and its a very common part on this model that breaks. Also this is the only part other than the compressor being bad that will cause these symptoms.

You need to replace the overload and relay set on the side of the compressor. The compressor should be operating if the fans are. I have arrowed it below in the diagram. The part mounts on the side of the compressor and is held on by a retainer clip.

graphic

To replace that part UNPLUG THE UNIT. Remove the retainer clip and pull the part straight off. Have the new part in hand and remove the wires one at a time and place that wire on the new part one at a time so the wires do not get mixed up.

If you have questions please ask me, if not then please leave a rating for me.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.