Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My washing machine will no longer fill up with water. The hose

My washing machine will no longer fill up with water. The hose and water line is fine, But I'm not hearing a switch or the normal hum when I turn the knob.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Does the washer just agitate instead of filling? Or does it sit there and wait for the water to fill? Also, do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker below the lid down near the hinges.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model # XXXXX XXXXX

It does nothing until the water level is reached. Then it completes the cycle...until it is time to fill for rinse cycle. Then I get a bucket...lol...and it completes the rinse.

OK so if you turn the knob to spin, it will spin like normal correct? And have you tried hot/warm/cold setting and it won't fill on any of those settings?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it will agitate and spin like normal, everything but fill with water. If I turn the water level on high, it will do nothing until I fill the washer almost completely full of water. If I turn the water level to the lowest setting, it requires the normal 15? gallons of water before it begins. I do not have hot water access for my washer, but if I turn the washer knob to hot, I can hear the usual hum of the washer. I do not hear this sound while it is turned to cold.

OK so you need to make sure you're getting good water pressure to the washer. You really do need hot water installed on the washer because even if you select cold water, hot water will be used to automatically adjust the temperature. Either way, the next step would be to test power at the valve when it should be filling. If you don't have 120 volts between the 2 wires to either of the valves (this is the part that your fill hoses connects to on the washer itself), then you need to replace the water temperature selection switch. If you do have 120 volts but water doesn't come into the washer, you need to replace the valve.

Now if you didn't have a multimeter to test for voltage, the automatic temperature switch is usually the part that fails so that is the part you'd want to replace. The part number for this switch is w10184148.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!