Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have an Arctic Air Commercial Refrigerator in my home for

I have an Arctic Air Commercial Refrigerator in my home for a small catering business I own. For about a week now it has not been holding a cold temperature. It is hanging at 59 degrees today, for the last four days it was 54 degrees. I cannot find anyone in my area that will come into my home to repair or look at it. Can you help?
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! At the top of the unit inside, there is a fan, shown as number 5 (13) in the diagram below. Is that fan running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that is running.

Okay, do you see any frost on the back wall, inside? Is the top of the rear wall (inside) very cold?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not any more than the other walls.

Okay, so the whole interior is warm?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not warm just cool to the touch, interior temp is holding at 59/60 degrees.

Okay, if you go around to the back of the refrigerator, is the compressor (the large, black, round part at the bottom) warm and vibrating?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually kind of HOT and vibrating.

Okay, and there is no frost in the back of the cabinet inside, near the top?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a silver piece in front of the Back of the refrig that leads up to fan on top. I cannot get my hand behind it unless you know a special trick. Happy to do what ever you say to help.

Can you remove the evaporator cover (number 25) to get a look at the coil to see if it is frosted?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I went into the garage and pulled everything from the top shelf, in the top left corner is a chunk of ice and there is a little bit of condensation in that area. Should I still take the evaporator cover off?

Okay, so you see a chunk of ice in one small area? Can you post a picture of that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Arctic Air - Laureen

Okay, that is not good. The refrigerant level in the sealed system is low. There is a leak in the sealed system. This is not a repair that you will be able to do. It will require specialized tools and training and will require a licensed and certified technician authorized to work with refrigerants. I would call a restaurant service company in your area or the manufacturer. If the unit is less than 5 years old, that repair is likely still covered.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will look it up on Google using restaurant service company however everyone that I have called has said no as it is in my house. Trust me, I would feed the person who fixed it if I could find someone.

Thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it. Is it best to empty the refrig and turn off?

It will continue to run and will eventually damage the compressor, so I would clear it out and turn it off. If you post your zip code, I can help you research servicers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Kelly, if you are close to me you need to let me know so I can deliver some cookies your way! You totally deserve it.

I live in Glen XXXXX, XXXXX just outside of Ashland. My zip is 23059.

Thanks, again.

I am in Montana, a few miles away! Too bad, cuz I love to eat! lol

The company below is the only restaurant servicer I find in your area. Have you tried them?

Commercial Kitchen Service
Commercial Kitchen Services9962 Brook Road # XXXXX Allen, VA 23059 - map(804)(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try them in the morning. They were not on the first three pages of google. You are a better "searcher" than I am!

Well, I will say a little prayer with all my thanks for your help. Montana sounds fun but a little far for a house call with cookies.

Thanks again. Laureen

Montana is great, except for right now, it is snowing here. Let me know how it goes, thank you!