Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Kenmore Energy Star washer, Model(NNN) NNN-NNNN9##/796.4044#9##

I have a Kenmore Energy Star washer,
Model(NNN) NNN-NNNN9##/796.4044#9## XXXXX heard the buzzer go off and about 15 mins later went to change the load from washer to dryer and my door will not unlock. Is there a manual way I can unlock the door so I can remove the clothes?
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Is the tub still full of water?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

Do the clothes look like they have been spun out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't tell, the glass is very dark and I can't see inside. I do know that the cycle finished

Okay, well let's see what happens if you start another cycle, allow it to run for about 5 seconds, then cancel. Will the door unlock?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

should I just do a rinse/spin cycle......or a full wash cycle/

It doesn't matter, start any cycle and then cancel it after about 5 seconds and see what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it didn't unlock. It is continually making the clicking sound like it's trying to unlock

Okay, if you press in on the door, does it change anything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, we actually did do that

Okay, well the lock assembly is faulty and will need to be replaced. I suspect you will need to force the lock open to get to the clothes and the screws holding it in place. The lock is available below, as well as a video showing how to replace it.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Door Lock Assembly <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Repair Video <----- CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will this result in damage to the door itself too if we need to force it open? Is there not a emergency manual way to open the door?

This particular lock does not have an emergency release, no. Some do, this one does not. The lock should open before damage to the door results, but there is never 100% certainty. A screwdriver may help with leverage to avoid breaking the handle.