Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.

Hello, I have a Maytag front load washer. I cant find the

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Maytag front load washer. I can't find the booklet for it but I bought the matching dryer with it. The washer has a sticker on top that says 138-00, 196-00, 198-00, 834-00. I'm having issues with the washer. It won't spin or drain and "F4" is blinking in the control panel. When I switch it to rinse & spin it won't. When I open the door it is full of water and it spills out all over. Could you maybe tell me what F4 means please?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Rick :

Hello my name isXXXXX will assist you today

Customer:

Ok. Thank you Rick.

Rick :

Give me one second to find the error code you are getting.

Rick :

Is the unit full of water right now

Customer:

Just on the bottom

Rick :

Can you open the door

Customer:

Yes the door opened but I had to leave for work so I am at work right now

Rick :

There should be a model number tag inside the door

Rick :

It is easier to track down problems when we have a model number

Rick :

Just so you know a F4 is usually a pressure switch issue, but I am concerned that your unit will not drain. Does it have a drain and spin cycle

Customer:

Yes it does, it seems to work when it is put on that setting.

Customer:

I guess I will have to wait until I get back home.... OH I just realized I put F4 but I meant F2

Customer:

I've tried to reach my brother in law at home but he's not answering

Rick :

Thats ok, a F2 is a draining issue on the unit.

Rick :

When your husband found the debris, I am assuming it was in the cleanout area?

Customer:

Yes. He has cleaned it out on occasion before

Rick :

in drain and spin will it empty the water out at a fairly fast pace?

Customer:

Yes. Its an 11 minute cycle. It started doing this 2 days ago and when we put it on drain & spin it would do that but we thought after my husband cleaned out the hose it would run normally but its not

Rick :

the next step will have to take place tonight.

Rick :

When you go home unplug the unit for 10 minutes and then try a load.

Rick :

Please let me know if the f2 comes back

Customer:

Ok I will. Can I Request you again? I've never been on this site before.

Customer:

Also, I will get the model number off the door

Rick :

Yes your question will not close until you are satisfied. I will switch us to Q&A that way you will get email notice when I am on here and I will get a email when you are ready for me.

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.
Ok now when you get home just respond here.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning Rick,

I unplugged the washer as you instructed yesterday when I got home. then I put a load in and the same thing happened. About half way through the regular cycle it stopped, full of water, flashing F2. It took 2 trys with the " spin & drain" cycle before it would spin and drain.The model# XX: MFW9600SQ0

serial# XX: CST3110645

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.
Ok, I am including a link to a website that shows the breakdown of the pump assy. I need your husband to check all hoses going to the pump of obstruction, unfortunately the only way to do that is to remove them, it is especially important that #6 is removed completely, we find a lot of debris right here. If all hoses are clear then you have a bad pump assy and you can buy that by contacting the website and ordering part number 10 from the breakdown.

If you have any further questions please ask away.

Rick
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your help Rick. Can't seem to see the link to the website though.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Rick, I'm not sure how to get to the link to the website.

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.
That would be my fault for not attaching it. Sorry

http://www.automaticappliance.com/lookup/98618/601801
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No problem. Thank you so much Rick.

Lesli

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.
Anytime.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Good morning Rick,

My husband is wondering if there is some kind of diagram that could show him where to access the hoses. He's not sure where they are located. He's only home for one day and will be leaving for work again. Unfortunatley we have no repair man in our town at all so we are hoping to fix it ourselves.

Thank you. Lesli.

PS. I have copied off the diagram from the web site.

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.
I just came on line tonight and saw your post. The front panel in front is the only panel you need to remove for the drain pump. I will be on line for a hour or two if you need to ask anything
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Rick,

My husband tried what was suggested and had no luck. He got angry and went out and bought a new washing machine. Thank you for trying to help me.

Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.
Sorry to hear he got upset, but glad to hear you have a washer that works. Have a great weekend