Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

maytag fridge-side by side-with ice maker. model # XXXXX

Customer Question

maytag fridge-side by side-with ice maker. model # XXXXX It began squirting water all by itself, as if you were holding the button.Opened and closed the freezer door and it stopped squirting water. Now light stays on constantly. Pushing the water button or the ice button or the dispense button does nothing.Any idea what the problem is?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this particular model has had quite a history with the dispenser failing. At a minimum, it sounds like your dispenser switch behind the actuator pad you push your glass on has failed and would need to be replaced. I'd start by just replacing this part since it's somewhat inexpensive and it might fix all the issues. The switch you'd need to replace is part number 61005520. And below is a video that shows you how to replace this switch for your unit.

CLICK HERE for video

Now if you still have issues, you'd need to replace the dispenser control board which is exposed when you pull the front panel off the dispenser.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!