Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Comforter placed in washer. Put soap in, pressed power, then

Comforter placed in washer. Put soap in, pressed power, then pressed start. Water never came in and cannot get washer unlocked
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like your door lock may have failed. Lets try to reset the door lock and see if you can try the washer again. To manually unlock the first, first unplug the washer. Next, remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The panel will then pull straight down and off. Once you remove this panel you can reach up behind the upper front panel and pull down on the small plastic pull tab attached to the bottom of the door lock assembly. This will manually unlock the door so you can open the door.

Now plug the washer back in and see if the washer will work. If not and you run into the same issue, replace the door lock assembly. It's actually a fairly easy part to replace if you're handy. You'll need to unplug the washer and open the door to start with. Then there is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off. From there you can pull the gasket back out of the way. Remove the screws going into the door latch from the front and reach behind to replace the door latch assembly.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

We are 2 old ladies and we need to go back downstairs and try what you suggested. Don't know how long it will take

OK, well I hope you'll be able to perform the task--that's obviously not something I can control. But in the very least, hopefully you can get the door open to remove the clothes. The screws under the lower front panel are 1/4" hex nut screws so you'll need a 1/4" nut driver or a 1/4" socket with an extension to remove these screws.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry but we are going to have to call our repairman as we do not have the proper tools or know how to take the panel off. I'm hoping we will not have to pay the full $30.

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately as you understand that is not something that I can control. I can only tell you what needs to be done to fix the problem and you're paying for my time and expertise.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I don't know how to rate your service since we are unable to try what you said to try. You were helpful but I can't control the fact we don't have the tools.

You're rating me personally for helping you, not things which are out of my control
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Giving you a good rating for your expertise, however you need to realize we don't know if it worked.

I understand, but if you would like to tackle it or can get a neighbor to help you, I will surely be around to help walk you through the process so that you can get the problem fixed. Also, in the very least you can unplug the unit for 5 minutes and plug it back in to see if the washer will reset. Sometimes that will reset the electronics. It doesn't work often, but it's still something that anyone can try.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you--plugging it back in worked.

Awesome, I'm glad it was that simple!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.