Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Jenn-aire dishwasher JDB1095aws1, s/n NY1310408. It

Customer Question

I have a Jenn-aire dishwasher JDB1095aws1, s/n NY1310408.

It will start run five seconds shut off, run 5 secs shut off, run 5 secs shut off, it does this forever and never moves on.

What is wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there is really only 1 thing that will ever cause this problem on the dishwasher and the problem is that your motor is overheating, shutting off, overheating, shutting off. Now this could be due to the motor itself or a problem with the control board. You need to test power at the motor between the YELLOW and BLUE wires and you should have 120 volts when the motor is running. If you're getting 120 volts all the time even though the motor is shutting on and off, then you need a new motor. If you're not getting 120 volts all the time and it shuts off when the motor shuts off, then you need a new control board

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It does this after only running for 5 seconds from being cold. Will the motor overheat that quickly? or is there a overheat sensor somewhere that could be bad?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the thermal cut out will overheat inside the motor if the start winding is sticking on and not switching over to the run winding. Now for you to actually feel that the motor it hot, it would take an hour. But the thermal cut out overheats from the current being drawn to the motor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, I will check this when I get home.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
No problem and good luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I checked when I got home. The 120 is only when the motor is running and not when it stopped. Which you said should mean the control board is bad. Before I ordered a board I took the motor off and put it on another Jenn-aire Dishwasher I had and the motor does the same cycling. This leads me to believe it is NOT the board but rather the motor.

Do you agree or is there something else I should check?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I would agree that it sounds like it's your motor, but that is really strange--I would really hope that the control board and the motor aren't both bad, but again---that is just really strange.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliance is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?