Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Good morning! I have a Maytag dishwasher MDBH970AWB with a

Good morning! I have a Maytag dishwasher MDBH970AWB with a wash motor that won't turn on. It fills, and also drains just fine (if I cancel the cycle). Thought the motor was probably bad so I purchased a used replacement motor from a reputable seller on eBay, but it didn't change anything. Any suggestions on what to check next and how to check it? The eBay motor seller suggested it might be the control board, but how do I know?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! When the motor should be running, do you hear any humming or buzzing noises? Does the drain pump work? Do you have a meter to test for voltage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - I do hear the periodic humming, and it sounds like a relay clicking. That cycle happens 3 times, then the unit shuts off. I can make it drain by restarting and then cancelling the cycle. Drains well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a voltage meter
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Can you measure the voltage between the blue and yellow wires on the motor harness? Also, inspect the red wires to the start capacitor to see if they are intact. Let me know what you see, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably, but I'll need a bit more info. Should I disconnect the harness from the motor to test, does a cycle need to be running, and where is the start capacitor located?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, I should have posted that. First, inspect the capacitor, mounted to the front of the area by the motor. It looks like the picture below. Are the wires connected and in good shape?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
having trouble finding the capacitor, but maybe I'm missing the obvious. Should I be able to see it by looking under the DW from the front?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yes, locate the yellow wire going to the motor harness and follow it back. The other end hooks to the capacitor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's way in the back, so I can't reach it without removing the DW. From what I can see, it looks like the red and yellow wires are attahced.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Wow, they are usually in the front. Okay, so now can you start the dishwasher and measure the yellow and blue wires in the motor harness with the harness attached, please? Looking for 120 VAC....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the voltage only be there after the fill cycle, when the motor should be running?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, after it fills and the control calls for the wash motor to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the dumb question, but if the harness is connected, where do I find bare wire to test?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You should be able to insert the leads from your meter into the back of the connector and reach the metal connector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try to figure something. The harness points straight down and my leads are also straight, so there's not enough room to insert them.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, can you hear the motor humming so that we can confirm it is indeed the wash motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear a hum, but the motor does not vibrate, except during the fill cycle, but I'm assuming that vibration is originating somewhere else. I can get some wires and insert them into the harness to check the voltage if necessary - let me know.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Given that, I do think it would be necessary just so we can verify the voltage is there and adequate. Please be very careful when you use external wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you bet - back in a few minutes
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it took so long. Turns out my voltage meter had a blown fuse, and it took me a while to figure that out. Hooked up external wires to get a reading. When the motor should be kicking on, the voltage meter barely moves. Tried on 2 settings - 250VAC and 10VAC. Barely registers on either one.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, can you test between blue and any metal on the frame of the dishwasher, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - I got 120V between the blue wire and the metal frame. Confirmed on 2 different voltage meters.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so that proves the control is good. I believe the issue lies with the start capacitor or the wiring to it. I would inspect the wiring and if found to be in good shape, replace the start capacitor, available below. Great job testing, by the way!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Capacitor <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly - thank you VERY much for your help today! As far as I can tell, the wiring looks good, so I'm going to order the part. Found a brand new one on eBay (from a reputable seller) for only $10.95 & free shipping, so I'll give that a try. Have a great day, and thanks again!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great find! Please let me know how it goes!

There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly - just wanted to let you know that the new part arrived today, and the dishwasher is working. Hooray!! As soon as I pulled the dishwasher out to remove the old capacitor (it is attached to the frame in the back), I saw that much of the dielectric material had oozed out of it. Once I saw that, I was pretty sure you had diagnosed the right part! :-) Sure enough - that was it. My wife thanks you, and most of all, my kids thank you! They are very happy to not have to hand wash all the dishes.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Right on, nice job! No more dish pan hands for the kids, woohoo! Cool

Thank you very much. Please let me know when the next appliance issue arises!
Kelly, Appliance Technician