Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have the Maytag Neptune gas dryer (MDG4000AWW). The temperature

Customer Question

I have the Maytag Neptune gas dryer (MDG4000AWW). The temperature is way too hot and have to keep the setting on lowest setting, which helps, but still hot. If I slide the temperature setting to Air/Fluff it is cool. I replaced the Cycling Thermostat (PS344510) and seemed to be working for a day, but now have to keep the setting very low again. Could the Cycling Thermostat be bad or is there another part that I should try replacing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there are only 2 things that would cause this problem---either you have a bad cycling thermostat or the vent is clogged. Now disconnect the vent from the back of of the dryer and try it again. If it still won't dry properly, then order and replace part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNwhich is the proper cycling thermostat for this unit.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When I put in my model# XXXXX part# XXXXX comes up is PS344510.

When I search for part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN part# XXXXX comes up.

Confused as to which is the correct part and why it originally gives me PS344510 for my model number.

Also, the vent is not clogged.

Thanks for any help here.

I'm not sure why you got a different part number for your model, but that PS344510 is a generic whirlpool operating thermostat, not the thermostat for your particular model.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So when I search for part(NNN) NNN-NNNNpart PS344512 comes up instead. Is this the correct part?

That is the correct part if you're ordering it through Partselect.com. Partselect.com has their own part numbering system that starts with "PS"

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Perfect. Thank you.

Not a problem and good luck!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I just spoke with parts select and they said 3387137 is not for model MDG4000AW and part # PS2036106 is what they show for my dryer. I know they have there own part numbers, but would you still recommend your part # for my dryer model?

yes I would. 3387134 is the part you have now, and that's a generic whirlpool thermostat.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry to question the part # but I made a couple calls and two different part companies say that 3387134 does not match up with my model #.

I was told part 33002409 is what I want. Is this the same part, but for my model #?

So that is a thermostat for your dryer, and it is specific to your model. 33002409 is only a 2 wire thermostat used for low heat settings. It is also a cycling thermostat and mounted on the front of the blower wheel housing. The part I mentioned before is the normal and high heat setting thermostat which is part number 3387137. This is for the 4 wire thermostat that you replaced before.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok. I will give your part a shot.

Thanks.

OK, good luck!
I do want to mention one last thing. It is possible that your element is grounding out as well. The problem is it's hard to test for because usually the element will only sag enough to ground out while it's running and the coils are glowing causing the heater to stay on. But if the dryer continues to overheat even with this new thermostat, the heater itself would need to be replaced.