Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

hi, i have a subzero 700bc combo fridge/freezer drawer, and

Customer Question

hi, i have a subzero 700bc combo fridge/freezer drawer, and it was installed a few days ago. it seems to be much louder than my side-by-side subzero fridge
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! If you have replaced an older Sub Zero, you may find the new one is a bit louder, especially going from a side by side to a bottom freezer. The insulation style has changed and that could be playing into the noise. However, if you had the fan replaced, I suspect the technician found it was faulty for some reason. Was the cabinet dropped or damaged during installation so that it may have compromised the structural integrity, shifting mounts or anything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have a brand new kitchen, cabinets were installed two weeks ago, and the combo drawer (also brand new) was installed last week. In the same kitchen we also have a brand new side-by-side subzero fridge (42S side-by-side) which I used to compare the noise level of the combo drawer to. The technician didn't say the fan was faulty, he was just trying different things to see if it makes a difference. He said the new fan made it sound a little bit quieter, but not definitively.

I don't know if 700bc normally is a more noisy model than some other SubZero units.

The technician also suggested us sound proof the sides of the fridge or the "alcove" the fridge sits in (the fridge is 24'', the island it is in is 27'', so maybe that creates space for sound to echo back and forth?). I have not tried it. do you know if this could work?

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
The echo of the cabinet will certainly amplify noise. One thing that I have used is thin styrofoam (a more economical solution) or mastic (available from car stereo installation shop but expensive) to insulate the cabinet. That will definitely help, just make sure there is still ample air flow. I would use the styrofoam, it is inexpensive and available in large sheets, making it very easy to install along the inner confines of the cabinet.