Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

Water entering the ice maker freezes up in the plastic flume

Water entering the ice maker freezes up in the plastic flume and in time over flowed water freezes throughout the entire compartment.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..how much time passes before it freezes up again? is it every few weeks ?or so?

Customer:

Within an hour or so after the ice maker tray fills up

Randy 43 :

does it initially over fill the icemaker tray so that it gets too much water and the cubes are one big ice block? or does the fill tube just freeze over ?

Randy 43 :

so the first batch of cubes is ok ? then it freezes and leaks?

Customer:

It doesn't overflow the ice maker. I think the tube gets stuck on the next round?

Randy 43 :

the icemaker only energizes the water valve for 8-10 seconds ,if it doesnt overfill then the icemaker is ok , if it fills on its own then you would have a faulty water valve , the valve is not closing properly and having water seep thru then ice up the fill spout ..

Randy 43 :

Water Inlet Valve W10408179 Main Product View
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

it can only be one of two things either the icemaker or the valve ,80% of the time its the valve , sounds like it is in your case as well

Customer:

I am thinking that maybe the water is allowed to refill before the ice in the maker is expelled?

Customer:

What is blocking the tube and not allowing the water to overfill the ice maker?

Randy 43 :

the icemaker only energizes the valve at a certain point in the rotation of the tray\fingers ..try unplugging the power connector to the water valve after it initially fills , if it still does it and the water valve has no power ,it cant be the icemaker

Customer:

So does that mean that the water might be timing on it's own before the cycle?

Randy 43 :

yes , the valve is most likely weeping , the valve either opens or closes ,letting water in when the icemaker provides 120 volts to the solenoid on the water valve , if there is no power to the valve and you are still getting any leaking ,it is definately a faulty water valve

Customer:

What is blocking the water from entering the ice maker and then freeze in the tube?

Randy 43 :

if the leaking stops ? with power removed then the contacts in the icemaker module may be pitted and is bleeding off some power to the valve

Randy 43 :

just water , it slowly weeps in and freezes ,it is just a tube ,there may be some ice that you cant see , possibly some foam insulation ? you can remove that tube from the valve also and blow thru it ,it shouldnt be restricted at all

Customer:

So the water valve is located behind the unit?

Randy 43 :

yes bottom corner and you will see the plastic line going up to the icemaker as well from there

Customer:

The tube usually freezes at the entrance of the ice maker rather than at the top where it enters from the valve.

Randy 43 :

water just runs from the valve up the hose to the icemaker cup where it is exposed to the freezer temps ,it could be building up on the slight flange of the icemaker cup

Randy 43 :

either way if the valve isnt closing it could freeze anywhere ..most of the time its the valve , but only real way to confirm this is to pull off the quick connect plug to the valve and see if it continues?

Customer:

Ok. I'll change the water valve and go from there.

Customer:

Kenmore online?

Randy 43 :

ok, sounds good ,any questions just post mark this question and come back to it

Customer:

Anyway I can turn off the water valve until I get the new parts?

Randy 43 :

yes , there will be a shut off at the back of the fridge , or there should be ..sometimes they put it under the sink

Randy 43 :

you know when it is off when no water thru the water dispenser

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert