Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My newly installed used Bosch dishwasher is draining as soon

Customer Question

My newly installed used Bosch dishwasher is draining as soon as I push the on/off button. I tried the Cancel/drain function to interrupt a cycle, but it wont stop pumping out. Is there a discharge valve that must be cleaned so it will shut?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So unfortunately your dishwasher is stuck in "flood mode". What that means is that water has worked it's way down into the base pan below the dishwasher tub causing the unit to do nothing but drain. This is normally caused by the drain being clogged or too many suds in the tub causing the tub to overflow a bit. Either way, you'll need to uninstall the dishwasher and tip it forward at a 45 degree angle to drain the water out of the base pan. Be sure to put a towel under the dishwasher first so that the water is soaked up in the towel instead of going all over the floor. Once you've drained all the water out of the base pan, reinstall the dishwasher and pour a gallon of water in the dishwasher. If it drains it out right away and doesn't wash or refill, you still have water left in the base pan to try again, otherwise you're good to go.

Now if you don't want to do all this work just to get your dishwasher working again and you have time, let the dishwasher just sit unused for a week and the water in the base pan will evaporate as time goes on and the dishwasher will start working again after a week.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you Tyler,

What caused it to be in the flood mode? Tipping it to move it, or what?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Definitely. There is a styrofoam plastic float that should be seated flat on the floor below the washer and it might be stuck in a weird position from moving it. You'll want to pull the dishwasher out and remove the left side panel (open the door and remove the 2 screws coming in from the front of the left side panel, then unclip the left panel at the top and hinge it down and off) to see the float and make sure it's seated on the floor correctly.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you again. It seems to be washing a regular cycle, and if we open the door the pump is not always running the water out.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Awesome. Well it sounds like the issue should be gone. If you need anything else, just let me know.