Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My LG WM2477HS Washer will not rotate The cycle when first

Customer Question

My LG WM2477HS Washer will not rotate

The cycle when first started does not begin. Door locks and one can hear a low volume level humming from the washer. I have entered diagnostic mode and get the following two codes 1U:00 and 1F:81. I press the start button (in diagnostic mode) get the following results:

1 press Tumble Clock Wise (RPM 40~50) - OK
2 times Low Speed Spin - no spin and display shows 0
3 time High Speed Spin - no spin and display shows 0

Do you think it is the control board?

Doug
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this low level hum should eventually give you a fault code on the display if you let it run for about 15 minutes. My guess is that you'll get an OE error on the display but can you run the cycle for 15 minutes and let me know what shows up on the display?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Its been about 4 min. The humming just stopped. The washer is not operating , no water in, no rotation. The display is showing about 57 (mins) as it would normally to show time left in the cycle.

Update: it has been about 5 min now and the washer has started the cycle. Water is going in and the machine is starting the rotation pattern that it normally does. I have left it running.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
OK let it keep running if you would. If it completes the cycle, the only thing that would cause the problem is the main control board in the back of the washer, but if it doesn't complete the cycle, an error code will appear eventually.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

OK - it is still running. There is no clothes in it now. The wash cycle is progressing like it would normally (about 52 min remaining).

I will let it run until it either finishes or throws a code. If it does throw a code how do I get back in touch with you? If the cycle completes normally what has been causing the start delay (about 4 min) before the wash cycle start?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
You can always just save the link and post back any time you need if for some reason you need to ask follow-up questions. But it should through an error code if there is a problem. If the cycle starts normal but you just hear that humming for 4 minutes, it may just be draining the water in the beginning of the cycle. Now that part should take less than 30 seconds which is why I think you'd get an OE error if there is an error at all, but if you get no error and it consistently takes 4 minutes to start the cycle, you'd either need to just live with the delay or replace the main control board since the main control board is really all that can cause that issue without an error code.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

OK - thanks. Do you know what the two codes I saw when I entered service mode mean? I understand that the 1F:81 code is what is expected when entering the service mode. What does the other code (1U:00) indicate?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Those are not really error codes. Just sequences in the diagnostics. They don't really mean anything other than telling you what the program is doing.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi:

Ran another wash tonight - washer stopped with displaying the code OE.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
OK so that was the error code I thought you'd get. OE means that it's not draining properly. So you'll need to remove the access panel in the lower corner on your front panel and unscrew the cap behind this panel. Try to clean this drain catch out behind the cap and be sure to unplug the washer and have a wet vac or lots of towels ready because all the water in the tub will come pouring out when you remove that drain catch.

If you find debris behind the cap, remove the debris. If you find nothing, then you may need to take the washer completely apart to check for a blockages in the drain pump itself. To access the drain pump, you need to pull the washer forward and unplug it.  Pull the dispenser drawer completely off the washer.  Next, remove the 2 bolts coming in from the back of the top panel.  The top panel will pull straight back, up, and off.  Remove the screws coming in through the dispenser opening and the screws coming from the inside of the washer going into the control panel.  There is one screw down at the filter catch you need to remove as well.  The control panel will then pull up and out of the way.  At this point, you just have a few screws going across the top of the front panel to remove.  Open the door and you need to disconnect the rubber door gasket.  There is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket.  Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off the gasket.  Now you can remove the front panel to access the drain pump located under the drum attached to the drain catch.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Ok - cleaned the filter - really not that much there.

This weekend I will take the washer apart as you have suggested.

Just to let you know, about 8 months ago we had a down pillow come apart in the washer. Down and feathers everywhere - quite the mess. Drain filter was completly plugged. Also my daughter rides horses and some of the things that get washed have alot of horse hair on them. A clogged line makes alot of sense.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Ah, ok well it's not easy to take the unit apart, but that would definitely be the next step.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Ok - thanks - bye (for now)

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Good luck
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I took the washer apart. Found a You Tube video that showed me how to remove the front and then access the water pump. It was quite easy.

I removed the pump. The two water hoses attached to the pump where clear. I could easily blow through both and there was no obvious clogs.

I removed the motor/impeller assembly from the pump. Again no obvious blockages.

I tried blowing through the small black pipe that comes out to the front of the washer which is attached to the pump assembly.

It was completely blocked with very fine black particles. It looked like very fine sand. I used a skewer and removed all of the sand from the tube. I would say that 90% of the tube length was filled with sand.

I was washing off the impeller and when I put it down the water that dripped from it was also full of the same fine sand. So being careful not to get the motor wet I kept rinsing the impeller and more and more sand came out.

After about 15 to 20 min of rinsing out the sand, I noticed that the impeller would move in an out about 1/4". I did not notice that before.

I have assembled every thing and the washer is now operating.

The wash cycle started right away - did not sit and hum for 10 to 15 min.

Before I removed the sand from both the tube and the impeller the impeller did rotate freely.

Have you hear of this type of sand build up?

Regards,

Doug

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
I have never heard or seen this amount of sand build inside the washing machine at all. It's really amazing that so much sand would build up especially in that small hose that is attached to the pump assembly (which I believe is the pressure switch hose that you're referring to). Either way, I'm glad it's all back up and running one way or another.