Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE GSS25LGM refrigerator that quit cooling but, if

I have a GE GSS25LGM refrigerator that quit cooling but, if left unplugged overnight, will get cold for about 12 hours and stop again. I have read some similar issues on justanswer and I think it may be the circuit board. So far I took off both back panels and vacuumed all the dust. The compressor was not warm and the fan was still running. Also, did not see any burns on the circuit board. I removed the bottom inner panel in the freezer and did not see any ice. Is there anything else I should look for or should I just order a new board? Where is the cheapest place to find that piece (I assume online somewhere).THANKS!
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So it sounds like you have done all the tests you need to confirm that your control board is actually faulty. The compressor isn't warm because it's not getting power, but it should be getting power since the fan next to it is running. You won't usually see a burn mark on the circuit board when this happens because it means that your relay that supplies power to the compressor is going bad. I find that Amazon usually has the cheapest prices for these boards and below is a link to the control board you'd need to order from Amazon. The part number is XXXXX

http://www.amazon.com/GE-WR55X10956-Control-Assembly-Refrigerator/dp/B004W6IL04/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1380681032&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=WR55X10942

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great, I will order the part and if any issues arise after install I will let you know. Thanks!

Not a problem. Good luck and if you need anything else, don't hesitate to post back.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The part you linked me to is not the correct part, it had different circuit and plug locations. Also, the factory control board had the number "200D2260G008" and the one from Amazon had "200D4864G049". We have been without a fridge for almost 12 days now...

Hmm I do apologize a out that. I know amazon usually has the best prices so I entered your part number you needed into Amazon and for some reason amazon pulled up a different model number that somewhat appears as the same board so I didn't catch that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you link me to the correct part?

Thanks

Sure, below is a link to the correct part.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-WR55X10942-Refrigerator-Control-Board/dp/B003BIGDLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381463108&sr=8-1&keywords=WR55X10942

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks

Not a problem and good luck again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tyler,

The 2nd link is the same incorrect part as the first link

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
, here is a pic of the correct part.

Thanks

Why do you think it's incorrect? Because it doesn't look the exact same? Because the board has been re-designed. Based on the model number you gave me, you need part number WR55X10942 which is the second part I linked to you and the first part I told you needed from the beginning.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, because there are additional plug ports and differing board part numbers.

That doesn't matter, GE changed the control board up on many of their machines and make them universal for several models. So if you gave me the correct model number, then that board is correct for your model.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, well that's great news. I appreciate your clarification, I tend to be cautious when it comes to plugging in circuit boards. I will plug it tonight and report back.

Thanks Again

No problem and good luck again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tyler,

Since we were in the process of moving, I just got around to installing the board. This did not fix the problem, the fridge powers up and the fans are on but no cooling. Does that mean compressor?

Thanks

If the board is new and the compressor is the only thing that isn't running, you could have a bad overload relay or a bad compressor. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I will try this tonight.

Thanks

Not a problem and good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tyler,

In the box mounted on the side of the compressor there were 2 relays (pictured below), the black and white one rattles and the brown one didn't rattle. Is this a common part that can be found at hardware stores or should I order online?

Thanks,

Mitch

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

You would need to order the part online. Below is a link to the part.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Relay/WR07X10025/1063791

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That doesnt look like the relay that rattled, here is a better pic:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Sorry, that is the overload. Below is a link to that part.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Overload/WR08X10025/879140

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks

Not a problem and good luck again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The new relay didn't work, what is the typical cost of a new compressor replacement?

A new compressor costs about $550 to have replaced unfortunately and that's not something you can replace yourself I'm afraid to say.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, well that's not good...

Thanks

Aye, that's definitely not good and I'm sorry about the bad news.