Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hello, I have a Kitchenaid Dishwasher Model KUDSO3STSS1 About

Customer Question

Hello, I have a
Kitchenaid Dishwasher Model KUDSO3STSS1

About 1 year ago soap dispenser stopped working

I read that instead of fixing it you could just put the soap in the bottom of DW, which is what we did
1 yr later

blinking start/resume light

checked internet, door latch/ switch, control panel, touchpad all could be problem

service man came out and I told him what it was doing and he said that by what I told him that it was the control panel, as he has seem it before.

I mentioned that I read that it could be the door switch or thermal fuse, he said control panel

He wanted 315 to replace the conrtol panel and 75 for the soap dispenser, he said the DW first rinses the dishes and washes any soap we put in bottom before the DW can use it.
Since he was so sure it was control panel I purchased a new one for around 125. I installed it ran the reset. I tried to start it and same thing happened., I removed the new CP thinking I would return it as that did not seem to be the problem

I figured it must be door latch/ switch, or maybe the soap dispenser bought new door latch/ switch and soap dispenser, after removing the old soap dispenser I noticed that the mechanism that powers the door to open looked like it had melted, it also was melted to the black plastic cover

While I was installing the door switch I experimented running it by pushing on the switch with a screw driver and I could get it to start,. I tried it with both the new and old door switch and it would start. I put it back together, set it to go on, shut the door and back to the blinking light

You should be able to choose your settings closed the door and it would start since the conrtols are under the counter top. Now you have to close the door and stick a knife under the counter to turn it on.

I ran a test cleaning and the soap dispenser did not open.

I reinstalled the new control panel and got the same results

I have new soap dispenser, new Door latch/switch new control panel and the same problem . Where do I go from here. Jim
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So if the new control panel didn't fix the issue, then unfortunately you have a bad control board. There isn't anything else that would cause the flashing light or stop the dispenser from opening, so you'd need to order and replace the control board inside the control panel in the upper right corner of the door.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Im sorry. It was the control board I replaced

OK then you need to replace the control panel itself. That would be the only other part that can cause this problem. By process of elimination, the touchpad would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

is there any way to test the touchpad, The DW does run. Why would it be the touchpad, The DW does work. How would the Touchpad be tied to the Soap dispenser, door latch switch, aren't all these controlled by the control board?

You can't test the touchpad, but unless you received a defective control board, nothing else would cause the problem. The touchpad can confuse the control board and the control board can act up. Only the control board and touchpad would cause the flashing light. Now that being said, you do only have 3 seconds to push the start button and shut the door before it begins to start flashing the start light if it's working properly. If you don't shut the door within 3 seconds of pressing the start, it will not start and it will start flashing the start light and that is 100% normal as designed.

As for the dispenser not dispensing, that can only be caused by the control board or the dispenser itself which you said you replaced both. So either the dispenser came faulty, or the melted dispenser shorted out the control board again after replacing the control board and now you have another control board. You'd need to test power at the dispenser to see if you have 120 volts at any point during the wash cycle and if not, then you'd need to replace the control board again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I will try what you said and get back to you within the week, if I get the parts

OK good luck.