Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Tyler Z. -- same question as one you started yesterday about

Tyler Z. -- same question as one you started yesterday about Change of Bake element on bottom of Thermador oven which can be seen when I open the door, Arnie
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

OK so if you can see the bake element, you'll want to pull everything out of the oven (all oven racks and side support rails. Then turn the circuit breaker off to the oven or unplug the oven. Next, remove the screws in the 4 corners of the back convection vent panel. Pull the convection panel off and you'll see the screws holding the bake element on going into the back wall. Remove these screws and pull the element forward carefully as to not unplug the wire behind the oven. Once you have the element pulled forward, unplug the wires and plug in the new element. Now just screw in the element and install the back panel.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tyler - Now it is Sat. and I have had time to follow your suggestions. Now, after removal of 4 screws, the back wall of oven does not come forward to allow me to see where bake element is attached. Please help??

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Is your bake element exposed or is it below the floor inside the oven so you can't see it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it is exposed and not below the floor.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so then my directions should be accurate. Why does the back panel not pull forward after you remove the screws? Is it hitting something or??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The four screws were removed and back panel does not move.. Broil element is still attached to back panel as is the problematic bake element for which I have a replacement ( correct part Nr. ) standing by.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK, so if the back panel is being held in by the bake and broil element, you should just be able to remove the screws going into these elements and pull the bake element and back panel off and proceed from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At this point should I also remove screws holding the broil element even tho'

it seems to work just fine. Need more help to find secret why the backpanel

will not come forward. This unit is a slide in unit with a down draft exhaust

for gas (LP) cook top.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The back panel should just pull out, I'm not sure why it's not unless your model has light bulbs installed in the back panel in which case you must unscrew the glass lens before the panel will pull out.

As for removing the screws going into the broil element, you only need to do that if you can't pull the bake element out after removing the bake element screws. But on most Thermador units, you can't just pull the bake element out without removing the back panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, there is a light bulb attached to back panel. I will remove that bulb and

and then try again. That bulb may be the secret why the panel would not move. I will let you know. Thanks. asr

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright sounds good. The light bulb lens will just untwist if you screw it counter-clockwise but it often gets seized into the receptacle really tight from all the heat and expansion over time so you will likely need to twist really hard.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tyler - you hit the current problem on the head with the word seized. It is

soo-o-o-o tight and seized from heat that I have tried and tried and my wife has tried to unscrew lens and we cannot budge it. Any hints ? Beside lens

there is also the fan for convection oven setting attached to back wall. Will that fan come with the wall with this model oven??? Thanks, asr

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The fan will be mounted to the wall behind the panel that you are removing---that will not be an issue.

But as for removing that lens, it's very difficult. I will often put one of those rubber circles that you use to remove a jar cap on top of the lens and then carefully grip the lens with my channel locks to grip and turn the lens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX not own a channel-lock but I know what that is. So tonite, I will try to borrow one from a friend who lives nearby, That lens is probably holding the wall. But still, the lens will wiggle around but not unscrew and with wiggle

around, you would think the back wall would be somewhat "loose" but not

come forward till lens is out. THE WALL DOES NOT WIGGLE AT ALL IT IS

tight and perhaps rusted or frozen to side walls, (???)Thanks, asr

Will you be available tomorrow?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I can't say when I will be on throughout the day tomorrow, but I will be on and off throughout the day. But once the light cover(s) and the 4 screws in the back corners are removed, the back panel should pull off if the bake and broil element screws aren't also holding it in place.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.