Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

theres standing water in the tub of this Whirlpool. as

there's standing water in the tub of this Whirlpool.
as i bailed, I realized that there might be water below the surface.
Is there a way to "fool" the machine into draining all the water?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry about the delay in your response, I had a valve break under a sink which I needed to repair.

But unfortunately this dishwasher doesn't have a way to fool and drain all the water out other than to start a cycle and press the cancel button after starting a cycle which will put the unit into a 2 minute drain cycle. But there will always be water under the pump top cover to keep the seals and pumps from dry rotting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You remember our earlier discussion about repairing it. I'm going to replace it but how do I keep from spilling the standing water? Also this model has a "food grinder" in it. I'm having trouble finding a replacement which includes that feature. Any suggestions?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ah yes. So be sure to turn the circuit breaker off to the dishwasher first. Stick a towel down inside the sump and drain as much water as you can out that way. Next, just put a towel under the pump when you remove it to catch any remaining water. As for finding the part number for the assembly with the food grinder inside, you need part number W10237169 which comes with everything that your current pump has including the grinder, thermistor, and soil level sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, actually I was looking for replacement machines that have Food grinders. Kitch-Aid the only mfgr. who include this feature?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Oh, I'm sorry I misunderstood you. Whirlpool, and Kitchen Aid are the only ones that currently still use a food grinder inside their dishwashers, that is correct.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any experience with this: GE GDT530PSDSS 24" Fully Integrated Built-In Dishwasher with 4 Wash Cycles, 16-Place Settings, Piranha Hard Food Disposer, Dedicated Silverware Jets, 51 dBA & Energy Star Rated

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but the disposal isn't really a disposal for the GE units. It's more of a wire next to a mesh screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the Mrs. wants all the same features and so I'm trying. the GE any less reliable than others in your experience?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'd say yes. But I'd also say that the new Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid, and GE dishwashers are probably all bad with respect to reliability when it comes to dishwashers. I don't usually recommend any of them, but if you're looking for a disposal you wouldn't have much of a choice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see myself winning the "nix-disposer" argument!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Haha. I will say that the most reliable dishwasher I find is the Bosch dishwasher. They don't have a disposal and their drying ability is probably below average, but if you use a product call Jet Dry Turbo for your rinse agent you won't have drying issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Heading for the piggy bank with a hammer in my hand!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, sorry about the circumstances, but I do wish you only the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks and take good care.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You do the same.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, not thrilled with Ascenta [SHE3...] because of non-adjusting upper rack. I am intrigued by this Electrolux model EIDW5705PB. Drawback is that it's Chinese-manufactured. Is there a domestic model with similar features? It appears to be a newer model so I don't know if you can speak to its reliability.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
In general the Electrolux models are quite reliable now, but they had a lot if leaking and touchpad issues that have been fixed in recent years. As for a domestic model, I really wouldn't know of an equivalent unit.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc