Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Frigidaire oven model fgb24s5dcb. The baking function stopped

Frigidaire oven model fgb24s5dcb. The baking function stopped working but the broiler works. What to do?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like your oven igniter below the floor inside your oven is just starting to fail and needs to be ordered and replaced. Oven igniters last about 6-8 years under normal use before they tend to start failing. They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, or open and shut the valve several times when it should just be holding open. It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve. The igniter is only about a $160 part and you can replace it yourself if you want to remove the racks inside the oven and then remove the floor to access it. Otherwise it will cost about $250-275 to call someone and replace it for you. Below is a link to the igniter you'd need to order for your model. Also, if you're wondering why broil still works, it's because broil uses a different igniter mounted to the top of your oven.

CLICK HERE for igniter

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the answer. I reminded me of what I should have thought of when I found that the oven is gas instead of electric. I just ordered and replaced an igniter in another unit about 4 months ago and forgot all about it until you reminded me.

Ah, yes it's definitely a common issue. Every oven will have it's bake igniter replaced if it's used regularly at some point in it's life.

If there's anything else I can help you with please just let me know. Also, please remember to rate my service before you leave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you supply me with the part number or spec for the specific igniter I need to order?

Sure, the part number you need isNNN-NN-NNNN