Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi, Ive had a similar problem in that everything works on

Customer Question

I've had a similar problem in that everything works on my Maytag range (ymer7651wb1)except the bake and broil elements. I took my digital meter and put on lead on the power into the controller and then touched the board at the connection for the bake / broil harness. Set at 200 I get a reading of 56-57. I did check the thermal fuse and it's good. Sensor reads like 1080 ohms and the receptacle ( 4 prong) has 120 volts to each of the parallel slots. Anything else I can check or do I assume it's the controller ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So based on everything you've already tested, you have a bad L2 relay on your control board since both bake and broil are being affected. The only other thing that would affect both bake and broil and not affect the touchpad are the sensor, thermal fuse, and the bake/broil elements themselves. You know the sensor and fuse are good based on your checks which leaves either the display control board or both elements are bad. Since you're not getting 220 volts to the element between the 2 wires, you need to replace the control board. The part number you need is w10271762 and the part should be about $80-100 or so. I'm really sorry about the bad news today.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll order a new board today and hopefully we can stop using the toaster oven for baking Laughing I should have mentioned I had previously tested the elements and while I forget what the readings were they was resistance in both so I'm sure it's the controller. Thanks !

Not a problem at all. Good luck to you!

I'm just following up to see how your appliance is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I just replaced the control unit and I have a working oven one more ! With an odd new issue. The oven light stays on. If you go into diagnostic mode it shuts off, you can hear the relay click. As soon as you cancel out the diagnostic mode the light comes on and stays on. Don't know what to make of that.

Hmm, I'm not sure what to say about that new issue. Possibly a bad door switch were the oven thinks the door is open all the time even though it's not?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Well that would kind of suck since we now have both the bake and broil elements again which was the original problem. Only 3 yrs wear and not even heavily used.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Another thing to check , thanks.

Alright, I'm really sorry about the bad circumstances but the only thing that would keep the lights on is the control board or the door switch so those would really be the only options.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Well I can hear the relay click in the control board and it turns off and on in diagnostic mode when testing so I guess I'm looking at the switch now.

most likely yes, but that is not for certain.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

okay , thanks. I'll start there and see.

Cheers

Good luck.