Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

How can I easily and neatly open the case of a foctory cemented

How can I easily and neatly open the case of a foctory cemented Makita 12 volt (1201) rechargeable battery pack?
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The easiest way is going to be to use a Dremel tool and a cutting blade, making sure you cut along the seam. You will need to cement it back together.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kelly; I borrowed a dremel tool from a buddy. I will need to acquire the cutting blade. Just what am I looking for? Or what do I ask for? What does a cutting blade look like? Thanks Pete

It will look like a little saw, pictured below.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Kelly: "Just wondering" Have you (or someone you know) ever done this case cutting procedure? When cutting, what should I do when I get to the rounded edges? Thanks Pete

I have done this many times for handheld radio batteries, yes. I am a ham radio operator and have many portable radios and rebuild the battery packs at 1/3 the cost of the whole pack. Not on the Makita model you have specifically, but a battery pack is built pretty much the same. You can use a small block to prevent cutting too deep, you just want to cut the surface of the housing so it will pull apart.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kelly; On these Makita batteries, there are (4) rounded 90 degree corners that will have to be cut. The flat disc cutter will be too wide to cut around these corners. What would you sugest for a cutting toll alternative for the rounded corners?

They make very small precision cutters, too. It will probably come in a kit with several sizes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kelly; I will weigh out all of the Dremel cutting blade options and make my choices. I know this a different subject, but where you rebuild battery packs, do you know of a source where I can buy (inexpensive) 1.2 volt NI-CAD & Ni-MH rechargeable batteries? The best price I have seen is about $2.00 each. Thanks again for all your help Pete

These are the ones I use, about the same price unless you buy in bulk.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kelly; Thanks for all your help. I will let you know how I make out with my battery packs. Pete

Sounds good, thank you!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

I see this question is still open. May I help with additional information?