Phil, Shop owner
Experience:  Degree, Mech. engr. shop owner. 51 years experience

Scotsman sce 275: Originally the pump stopped working, turned

Customer Question

Scotsman sce 275: Originally the pump stopped working, turned out it had a bad bearing and got hot. Replaced pump with the little giant replacement that fits most of these machines. It began making ice just fine, 15 min cycle, but the water reservoir was running over into the ice bin and melting the ice before it could build up. I checked the float sensors and they look pristine. Now the machine is getting stuck in harvest.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Phil replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!

You can download the service manual CLICK HERE. then type in sce275.

Trouble shooting this may or may not be beyond your training level on ice machines, these are complex systems.

Look the manual over, particularly the section on water level control.. and tell me if you are able to relate to that and the check out proceedures.. you will need the appropriate multi meter.

We can go from there as long as you continue to rate my ongoing assistance *positively.. I can help you with no time limit. I hold the question open in that case.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a multi meter and my only limit would be if I needed to change the hot gas valve as I cannot evacuate the system.

Expert:  Phil replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

Have you downloaded the service manual for that unit and looked at the section on pump replacement and water level sensing?

Use your multi meter do perform the sensor tests. Let me know how that goes, we can go from there.

These systems are heavy with electronic controls the factory training course on these units is two days ( 16 hours) for people with a 2 year college degree in mechanical engineering technology... without that its much more of a study.

It will pay you read most of the manual and understand the concepts... trying to fix something like this without those understandings can cause more trouble than its

If we go much beyond this level and into what could be an hours long trouble shooting and training process, I need you to issue a positive rating. Lacking that I can spend days or weeks without compensation. I try to avoid that.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Phil, I cannot issue a positive rating, this is not a complex machine. That you present it as such tells me that while you have a engineering degree you are not a in the field service tek. Most repair personnel have a vocational training in hvac at best and service these machines all day long. No harm in dropping this ticket.