Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Our dryer got extremely hot when dewrinkling some clothes the

Our dryer got extremely hot when dewrinkling some clothes the other day. Now it won't start. I have tried cleaning out the lint traps and the reset button on the back of the dryer. I thought the heat element had gone bad, so I replaced it and that didn't do any good. When I go to start it, everything lights up. I hit Start and it clicks and does nothing. I hit start again, it clicks and does nothing
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. There is a safety thermostat, or thermal fuse, inside the machine. This will open if it gets too hot, interrupting power to the motor. I suspect this to be the case with your machine. That fuse is mounted on the blower housing, inside the machine, and is pictured below. It can bet tested by measuring continuity through it with a test meter. If found to be open, it will need to be replaced and is available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kelly, I don't have a test meter. If I did, how would I test it? I will go look to see if I can find the safety thermostat. Be back shortly

You can remove the wires and tape them together, but do not leave them like that. If the dryer starts after they are together, it is indeed faulty.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This safety themostat is different than the reset switch on the side of the heating element, correct? I can't find anything that looks like the picture you sent. Can you give more directions? Looking into the back of the machine, the heating element is on the lower right and the motor and belt are on the left to the front of the machine. Where is the blower housing?

The blower housing is in the front of the machine, right at the base of where the lint filter is set in place.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So can I get to it from the back or do I need to take the front cover off of the machine?

I think you can reach it from the back, I can't remember for certain. If not, the front will come off, allowing access.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the heating element probably isn't bad after all?

Not if it was overheating, unless it was grounded to the case. It is more likely to be an air flow issue. Is the lint filter clean, and the housing it goes in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I cleaned the filter and the housing. I will have to take the front off. I can't see anything from the back. Can I come back and ask additional questions? I know you don't have all day to wait on me

Of course, you just reply when you can! There is no extra charge and I will be here all day!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was able to get to the safety thermostat from the back and unplugged the wires going to it. I tried to run the machine. Now it is beeping when I try to start it, but is still is not running. Do those wires I disconnected from the thermostat need to be connected together?

Yes, they need to be touching so they complete that circuit. Be sure to tape them up good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I'll be back

You bet!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't connect those wires. They have 2 different types of connectors, one plastic, on metal, that won't mate with one another and I don't want to cut the wires. Unless you have a better idea, I will buy the thermostat and replace it and hope that works.

You can use wire to place in each connector but I am very confident that the new thermostat will correct the dryer issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll try wiring them together. Stay tuned.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Okay, be careful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I gave it a shot and nothing new happened. When I hit the start button I hear a click, but the dryer doesn't start. If I hit start again the lint filter button blinks, but I cleaned it with a water and a brush and vacuumed the inside of the lint area. ???

Okay, and you are certain those wires are making good contact? Is the belt tight around the drum?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried again after reseating the wires. Same thing. The wires are hard to reach so I can't be sure that the contact is good. The belt seems tight to me. I'm going to go buy the thermostat and try that. Do you think I should return the new heating element? Since that didn't fix the problem? Could the heating element be bad too?

Both can be tested with a $10 meter from any hardware store. I would buy a meter and we can work through it with accuracy. I do not suspect the element was bad, though.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll get the thermostat first and put that in and if that works I'll replace the heating element with the original. If that works, then I will return the new one. Thanks for all your help.

You are very welcome. Have a great afternoon!