Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My dishwasher Whirlpool model DU1055XTVB5 began acting up similar

My dishwasher Whirlpool model DU1055XTVB5 began acting up similar to a problem another customer has asked you before. It would stop mid cycle and the Start button would be flashing. I would press Start and it would complete its cycle. However this last time when I went to run a new load of dishes, I noticed that several of the lights on the panel were solid. I couldn't get it to do anything. I have tried pressing NORMAL WASH - HEATED DRY three times to put it in standby mode, but the panel doesn't respond. After a few days, all of the lights have turned off except for the Washing light. It is the only one still lit up. Any ideas? Thank you for your help.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you!

Your touch panel is likely experiencing a failure. You may need to replace the control panel but there is a trick you can try first. Cut the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while "massaging" the buttons. Often times, this will restore operation. Be sure to get the panel very warm but not hot enough to damage the plastic. If this does not work, the panel will need to be replaced. Let me know what happens and I can get you the correct part information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried the hairdryer idea but it didn't help. Anything else we can try? What is the part number if I need to replace the panel?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I am satisfied thus far with the answer, but I need more info and I am not sure that Kelly is still online or available.

Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back. okay you need the keypad I believe correct ? Touchpad and Control Panel W10459139 Main Product View heres a link to order it. I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure it is the touch panel. I took the panel off and looked at the circuit board. It is pretty dirty; there had been a bug problem before. I used some alcohol and cleaned the board a little bit. I reconnected power and now several of the lights are on but they are actually bright now instead of very dim. I am intending to clean the board completely and then attempt to put it in diagnostic mode as suggested in the beginning, but I need to disconnect the board from the touch panel. It has a 15 pin ribbon cable but I can't seem to figure out how to disconnect it. Could you help?

I understand I still may need to replace a part if cleaning up the circuit board doesn't fix it, but how will we know if it is the touch panel or the circuit board itself?

Okay you cant get the keypad ribbon disconnected from this ? ,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I actually did just get it disconnected. I am cleaning it now. Any ideas how we would tell if it is the circuit board or the touch panel?

What you should really try on that ribbon and connector on the board before you buy anything is go to lowes or radio shack and get some HQ contact cleaner and spray then both really good. that stuffs amazing .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No luck. As I mentioned before, when I cleaned the board just a little bit before, more of the lights were on brighter. Now that I have finished cleaning it and cleaning the connectors, it is back to only having the "Washing" and "Pots and Pans" lights on very dimly (how it was originally).

Okay you need the touch pad like we said. its shorted. heres that link to order it again. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, I'm ordering the part and will have it by 10/3 to see if it solves the problem.

Thanks for your help

your very welcome , have a great night and thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I installed the new touch pad and it is working again! Thanks for your help.

your welcome, thanks and have a great weekend ! Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.