Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

It concerns AMANA XRSS264BB. The flavour of the ice cubes

It concerns AMANA XRSS264BB.
The flavour of the ice cubes is rather bad. However smell and taste of the cooled water is ok. The service department in Holland tells me it's hard to find out what's causing the trouble. Please could you give a hint where to start or to look for.
Installation (I guess 8 years ago) seems ok. there is a separate water supply.
about three years the machine has been out of order for one year (we bought the house), but it functions well apart from the taste and the smell of the ice-cubes.
I could not find, neither download an installers guide.
The users manual is at my disposal but not usefull on this topic.
Thanls a lot. [email protected]
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Take a look at the bottom outside of the ice maker, does that part of the ice maker appear darkened compared to other area's of the ice maker?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hallo Barry, the bottom looks the same as the other parts.

There is also no food that smells badly or so. Freshly dropped ice cubes taste as unpleasant as the 'older' ones.

gr. P. Dekkers

Hello there,

That is strange, the reason it took me so long to respond is I took time to review all of the water line's routing in your model and I can tell you there are only 2 things apart from the ice maker that are different from the water at the dispenser. There is one section of the water valve and about 10 feet of water line. Thats it and actually the water and ice water supply valves the water runs in the same mechanical sections in both supplies.

Do you have something that is flexible you could use to pull water from inside the ice maker, some kind of syringe?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, Barry not any syringe, but a straw.

The flavor of the water inside the ice maker is as unpleasant as the ice cubes..

Is there any box or so where the water line comes from? a little bit of that line one can see at the outside or backsite of the freezer. There is also a clip.

Yes there is the water valve at the bottom left I believe on your model. Or you could test there at the clip if you wanted. Squeeze that clip and the line pulls out. Get a little out of the line there and see if its still in the line or is it isolated to the ice maker only?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hallo Barry, I guess, I'll be from now at the end of my capabilities. I have to take away the backside of the freezer or at least to release the clip at the top.

The problem is not to release it, but to fix it again or to tighten a new clip (and where to find?).It's a special one.

From this point I'll need a professional, I guess. But you were and are helpfull to me. I got an idea of this 'ice-mechanism', that is the 'American freezer' for us.

Gr., P. Dekkers

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Gr., P. Dekkers

Give me just a few minutes, I may have the part number for that clip. Lift the bar on the ice maker so its off, you will have a leak if you do not. I will be right back.

Barry
M0114003 is the part number for the broken clip. If you get a sample of water from that tube and it still tastes bad follow that tube down to the bottom where it connects. That will be the part to replace. If the water does not taste bad at that point then the ice maker will need to be replaced. Those are the only 2 differences from the water supply, I seriously doubt that small section of tubing is causing the taste, I cannot see how that would be possible.

Thank you for the opportunity, be sure to turn off the ice maker until you get that clip. If you have further questions please do ask me. If not please leave a rating for my service.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Barry, I'm grateful for your attention and your help.

Wish you all the best. Thanks again. P. Dekkers

Thank you,

You and your family take good care.

Barry