Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

What causes frost build up inside SubZero refrigerator?

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Where exactly are you seeing the frost build up? Is the frost build up inside the refrigerator in the upper left corner of the silver evaporator coils?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is inside the refrig. left side, about 3/4 down from the top where the side & back walls meet

it's on the left side wall? Not the back wall? Do you have a model number?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model 561. Build up is maily on back wall

OK that's what I thought. If you remove that back panel you'll see silver coils behind this panel. The frost is building up because you have a freon leak or your compressor is inefficient. Only part of the evaporator is frosting up instead of all of the silver coils having a light coating of frost. That makes the compressor run a lot longer creating a frost ball in just one area while the other coils remain completely frostless. You'll need to have a technician come out and check the freon pressure to see if you need a freon re-charge or if you need a new compressor. Almost always on this model, the issue is a freon leak.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it does need a new compressor - what would a reasonable price i should expect to pay?

Unfortunately Sub Zero technicians can generally charge quite a bit since there are not many in any particular area. Usually right around $1000 is the going price to replace a compressor.