Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

We have an evirogas EG28 small gas stove in basement. The

Customer Question

We have an evirogas EG28 small gas stove in basement. The pilot light will light but it will not start.

Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! What type of switching are you using to turn the unit on, a thermostat, remote or switch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
OKay, and has the pilot been on long enough for the thermopile generator to ramp up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes much longer than usual

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a button that we have to push to start after the pilot light warms up.

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Okay, do you have a meter to test with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no but could get my son to do it tomorrow if you will tell us what to do.

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Well, on the gas valve, there are three connectors with wires going to them. The top and bottom will have a wire on each from the switch and the middle and bottom will have a wire from the generator. Measure the millivolts between the bottom two terminals, looking for around 300-400 millivolts. If that is there, the generator is good. If it is considerably lower (<275 millivolts), the generator will need to be replaced. If it tests good, test the wires from the switch for continuity. I will be here if you have questions when you begin to test. There is no extra charge for follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 years ago.
I see this question is still open. May I help with additional information?