Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a he3 Kenmore Elite washer (smartheat-quietpak4)and

I have a he3 Kenmore Elite washer (smartheat-quietpak4)and dryer team....they are about 5 yrs old and today part way thru a cycle my dryer stopped....no power...no lights....no sounds kaput and the load was about 3/4 dry it seems....I checked the plug-in and the breaker panel and all was good *or so it seems

Question....what is causing this failure and can it be fixed by a non-professional like me

Hope someone can help....washer is fine and washing a load atm....

Dave
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. So let me ask, Do you have a volt meter ? can you get me the model number from the dryer? look right inside the door for a tag.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Model # XXXXX XXXXX

Not handy with a volt meter :(

Dave

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Okay Dave , can you get one? its kinda important so we can see where your missing power.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

lemme go check my toolbox....may have a multitester...is that the same thing?

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
yes that will work if you can test power with it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

brb

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Have a meter that has a red and a black lead and a dial thar serves mutifunctions I think?

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
yes that should work, it has AC voltage on it correct ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dial can move to section on rite top says ACV??

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
yes that's it. does it have different voltage levels like 500 ac volts ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes has options of 500 and 200 ??

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes it has options of 500 and 200 ??

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay great put it on 500 and you need to unplug the dryer and remove the cover over the part where the cords connects to the dryer, then plug the dryer in and the are three (or four in some cases) anyway test for 220 volts on the two outside post. red and black . you should get 220, let me know.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok will do in am.....cant right now as dryer will have to be moved to get at plug cover area.....also have to go pick up the 'bride' after shift...how do I reach you tomorrow???

Dave

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay no problem. I will be around tomorrow but probably not until noon EST, If that's okay with you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok est here too.....thanx....hope I can reach u again tomorrow....thanx

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
I will be here and receive any replies you send so no problem , have a great night, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Took off cover and here is a pic...where do I put voltmeter tester cables?

Dave

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi again....dryer still no power.....here is a pic of wiring...where do I put meter cables?

Dave

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay there are 3 terminals where the cord connects, put your meter on 500 ACV and test the two outside terminals, you should see a reading of around 220 volts.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

is that on left side of pic with white black and red wires? do I remove plastic casing? to test...sorry for dumbbbb questions..

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.

follow your cord from the wall plug to the dryer and there should be a small cover over where it connects to the dryer , that's where we need to start .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I did but could not access wires into machine without removing top cover...see attached.

Dave

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

here is one more pic....

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
test from that red wire to ground (the body of the machine) you should get 120 volts, then test from the black to ground.
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry but I have to opt out of this question, I cant find the correct diagrams and I also have to go out and don't want to tie you up. I'll put this back at the top of the question list and someone will pick it right up. please stand by. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

k thanx...

Dave

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no one else has contacted me yet.....????

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I still have yet to hear back from this site and my questions.....

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have yet to be contacted by anyone else from this site???

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! I am sorry for the delay in a response. I am happy to help. If you have 120 VAC from the black wire at the cord terminal to the center white cord terminal, the control board is faulty. Do you have any voltage there?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

what setting do I use on meter to check VAC??,,,does dryer have to be plugged in to check this??

Dave

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Set you meter to the 500 setting on VAC for safety and yes, it will need to be plugged in to test the voltage. Be careful not to touch anything other than the meter probe to the cord terminals!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

in this pic what terminals do I test...

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Test between the black and white wires, please. You should be able to get the meter probes in those connectors.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I will get back to you after lunch (EDT) as I have an apt at 11:30..will also do test as u have directed...thanx

Dave

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Sure, I will be here, thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I just used the tester as u directed and I got a reading of zero across the black and white terminals....Now what...is that good or bad?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
That means you lost the L1 leg of the 240 VAC required to run the dryer. The issue lies with the power supply from your home.

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How can I test the plug in for the dryer then.....breaker in panel seems ok?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Is your cord a 3 or 4 prong cord?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It has 4 prongs....

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, so test between the two openings that are straight up and down, you should read 240 VAC. What do you read?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

hang on....where do I put the tester pins in this photo...don't want to get zapped with 220....

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I got rdgs from 000 to 2 to 4 to 6 ??

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
That is what I expected, you are losing the power from your breaker box. Even though the breaker looks okay, turn int off and back on. See if the dryer will then start.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

will do but already tried that a few days ago....will go try again.....hang on....

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, keep me posted.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I did the breaker thing 6 or more times and no response from dryer..now what ? shut all breakers in box on and off as well,,,everything else seems to be working.....

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
You will need to call an electrician in to see why the power has been interrupted from the breaker. It is not an issue with your dryer but the wiring in the home.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok thanx a bunch....can I check breaker myself or too dangerous?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
I would not recommend you access the breaker box. It is not worth the risk....

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!