Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

the coil on my maytag mtb2154ara refrigerator is freezing up.

the coil on my maytag mtb2154ara refrigerator is freezing up. I have read several answer sites and have looked in the freezer ompartment. I took off the timer and it has no ohms across it. I think this is the timer but it has no knob to turn around like some sites talked about. It is clipped to the intake tube to the conderser coil with two wires coming out, one black and one white.

I also checked the ohms across the defroster unit and it also has no ohmage. Am I approaching this correctly. I wouldn't think both of these would to at the same time.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The timer is actually mounted in the fresh food section near the control, shown as number 12 in the picture below. Can you turn the dial on the timer slowly (with the refrigerator running) until it shuts off, please? Once it shuts off, do you hear any cracking or other noises in the freezer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will have to put everything back in place. I will do this and let you know in a few minutes.

Okay, is the freezer cold?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes and the coil is frozen.

Great! Let me know what happens when you click it into defrost, please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. I clicked the timer until the compressor and freezer fan went off. There are no noixes in the freezer. I know what it sounds like when the heater begins to defrost. No such sound

Okay, and when you tested the heater wires, the meter did not change?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did you see the post a minute ago about the heater getting hot and then going cold?

I did not and cannot find it above?? So the heater came on and then went off soon after?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes. and when I put the ohm meter between the white wires on each end of the heater element, I got no ohms.

Okay, so did you have the wires disconnected on the heater when testing? Can you see the heater and does it look like it may be burnt in the glass tube?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did have the wires disconnected when I tested it. There is a burned area on the left side of the tube that has also burned the metal channel that is in front of the heater element.

Thank you. I believe the defrost heater is broken inside the glass tube and will need to be replaced. It may have made a temporary contact and worked for a moment, but it tested bad. The correct heater for your model is pictured and available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks Kelly. Anything unusual about installing the new one. Is it simply a matter of unplugging it and undoing the two clips? If so I think I can take it from here. Thanks very much.

Just unplug and plug in, being careful of the glass. Thank you!