Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I HAVE A REFRIGERATOR (LESS THAN A YEAR OLD) AND THE ICE CUBES

Customer Question

I HAVE A REFRIGERATOR (LESS THAN A YEAR OLD) AND THE ICE CUBES MAKE ICE WITH A STRONG CHLORINE TASTE. oUR TAP WATER DOES NOT HAVE THE CHLORINE TASTE.

hELP
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So I'm not sure you'd get a chorine taste in your ice if your water doesn't have chlorine in it from you house. But you can go to a local water or pet store and pick up a chorine tester to determine if your cubes actually have chlorine in them. You would want to just fill up a cup with ice and let it melt, then use your testers and see if it's really chlorine that you're tasting. If so, there is nothing you can do but put a charcoal filter on the back of your refrigerator to remove the chlorine because the refrigerator isn't putting chlorine into the ice.

That being said, if it's not actually chlorine and it's something else that just tastes similar, you may need to clean the icemaker out with white vinegar and a rag. Other than that, the only thing that gives a taste or odor to the cubes is the air inside the unit that blows across the ice since recirculated air blows across the water to freeze the ice quicker. This will cause the water to attract the taste and build up and amplify the taste. But the only fix for this is to put baking soda boxes inside the refrigerator and freezer and that will absorb the odor/taste that that is inside the refrigerator.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I see you gave me a negative rating. Was there something I could help you with to improve that rating?