Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

My kitchenaid kscs25inss00 refrigeraor is not cooling. When

Customer Question

My kitchenaid kscs25inss00 refrigeraor is not cooling. When I first plug it in the consensor fan comes on for a few seconds and clicks off. I don't hear the compressor come on at all.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Does the fan keep running inside the freezer compartment though?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
If you wait about 10 minutes with it plugged in, does not the fan and compressor start running then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fan and/or the compressor do not come on after ten minutes.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Okay, how long is the fan running for right after you plug it in? Also do you have any idea what the temps are inside the freezer and fridge section?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry internet explorer went nuts on me. The fan only runs for a second or two then I hear a single cclick and it shuts off. Both the freezer and fridge are 70 degrees F.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Lost him. He didn't reply to my last answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

It sounds like your main board has gone faulty. it is located by the compressor behind a cover. I cannot tell if the cover is metal, or plastic from this diagram, so please look for the wire harness heading to it. I think it is metal, to the left of the gray compressor inverter box. This board is not available, and will have to be sent off to repair. The part# XXXXX the board is W10219463, if your local parts dealer can find one for you. If not, here is a site that repairs them.....

http://www.fixyourboard.com/boards/W10219463.html

If this information has assisted you, please give me a great rating for doing so. I wish you well....thank you

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
At best this is only a guess, you can run the diagnostics on the unit first, here they are, you can check each component before you spend money on a part that may or may not be needed. Follow all the diagnostics on the sheet below..

graphic

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

conducted the diagnostic tested. all components passe except for the compressor which displayed a 2 status "compressor " What next?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Okay, when you got the 2 in the test for the compressor did you wait another 7 or 8 minutes and do that test again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no. i will do it now.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Please do, also do you own a multi meter to check voltages?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No meter. Still waiting the 7 minutes out. This time the defrost heater was on when I tested.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
okay, yes there is a time out period, especially if you had the defrost heater on, let me know...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

second test revealed "compressor off". I don't have a meter but i do have one of those pens that light up. Does that help any?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
The pen won't help, I just wanted to make one extra check, The part the other expert told you to have repaired is not the problem. The box that is located next to the compressor is what is bad, it is called the inverter. I did not think it was the main computer causing the problem from the way you explained what it did when you plugged it in.. I found only one place that has this part available, it is SEARS, you can click on the blue link below to order it...

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanet to the ks Chas.. Part is on order. When I removed the inverter to get to the main board I noticed the box was tarred and thought it may have shorted out.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
No problem, be sure to rate my service to you today so I may be credited..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

received the inverter today and transferred all the wires from the old inverter to the new one. I'm ready to plug the new one into the black box on the side of the the compressor but I can't get into the box to remove the old wire and plug into the new one. How do I get the black box opened or remove from the compressor?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Good question, they install these differently all the time, is the drier in the way of removing it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing is in the way. I removed the screw that prevents prevents the wire from unplugging itself. Just don't see anyway to remove or open the box.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Can you post a picture of where you are having a problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took a photo but couldn't get it to attach. So I lost patience and pryed the box opened. It worked and I am ready to plug in the new invertor. The box was just a protective cover and if it won't snap back in place, I'll just find a way to keep it in place.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
okay
Good luck